1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational physics

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    Hello
    my parents are forcing me to do engineering, I got accepted to a program in computer engineering, but the thing is Im also interested in physics specifically computational areas so I was wondering If its possible to do a double major in computer engineering and physics and then go and get a masters in physics and eventually a phd and leave engineering completly, Im not against doing engineering cause its a great back up plan in case physics doesnt work out and plus its only one extra semester, I know its going to be hard but its worth it cause I really do love physics and want to make a career out of it. Oh I also got accepted to computer science what do you think is a better combination, the former or the latter ? And what areas of computer engineering can benefit me in my future studies in physics ?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Instead of limiting yourself to physics you could specialize in computational methods and thus get into physics or biology or economics or any other field that requires modeling.

I know our local university has a degree called CSEM for computational science, engineering and mathematics. Other universities may offer a similar degree.

https://www.ices.utexas.edu/graduate-studies/phd-requirements/

4. Apr 27, 2015 #3
    The real question is whether or not you can find challenging problems to work on in a style you enjoy, and this is true of most branches of engineering.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
  5. May 2, 2015 #4
    Keep in mind that a career in Physics is very hard these days, as the universities produce many times more Physics PhDs than there are job openings for research physicists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook