Computer Engineering & Physics: Dual Majoring for Future PhD?

In summary, the individual is facing pressure from their parents to pursue engineering, but also has a strong interest in physics, particularly in the computational area. They are considering doing a double major in computer engineering and physics, followed by a masters and PhD in physics. They also mention having been accepted to a computer science program and ask for advice on which combination would be more beneficial. The conversation also touches on the possibility of specializing in computational methods and the current job market for research physicists.
jfh96
Hello
my parents are forcing me to do engineering, I got accepted to a program in computer engineering, but the thing is I am also interested in physics specifically computational areas so I was wondering If its possible to do a double major in computer engineering and physics and then go and get a masters in physics and eventually a phd and leave engineering completely, I am not against doing engineering cause its a great back up plan in case physics doesn't work out and plus its only one extra semester, I know its going to be hard but its worth it cause I really do love physics and want to make a career out of it. Oh I also got accepted to computer science what do you think is a better combination, the former or the latter ? And what areas of computer engineering can benefit me in my future studies in physics ?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Instead of limiting yourself to physics you could specialize in computational methods and thus get into physics or biology or economics or any other field that requires modeling.

I know our local university has a degree called CSEM for computational science, engineering and mathematics. Other universities may offer a similar degree.

https://www.ices.utexas.edu/graduate-studies/phd-requirements/

The real question is whether or not you can find challenging problems to work on in a style you enjoy, and this is true of most branches of engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that a career in Physics is very hard these days, as the universities produce many times more Physics PhDs than there are job openings for research physicists.

1. What is the benefit of dual majoring in computer engineering and physics for a future PhD?

Dual majoring in computer engineering and physics allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields, providing them with a diverse set of skills and knowledge. This can be beneficial for future PhD studies, as many research projects and advancements in various industries involve the integration of computer engineering and physics.

2. Are there any specific courses that are recommended for dual majoring in computer engineering and physics?

While the exact courses may vary between universities, it is recommended to take courses that cover the fundamentals of both computer engineering and physics, as well as courses that focus on the intersection of the two fields such as computational physics or computer architecture.

3. Can dual majoring in computer engineering and physics be challenging?

Yes, dual majoring in any two fields can be challenging as it requires a significant amount of time and dedication. However, with proper time management and a strong interest in both fields, it is definitely achievable.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a dual major in computer engineering and physics?

Having a dual major in computer engineering and physics opens up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research and development, data science, robotics, and more. Graduates can also pursue advanced degrees in either field or a related interdisciplinary field.

5. Are there any specific skills that are important for those pursuing a dual major in computer engineering and physics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are crucial for success in this dual major. Additionally, having a solid understanding of mathematics and programming languages is important for both computer engineering and physics coursework.