Computational Systems Biology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits and potential challenges of majoring in a cross-disciplinary field such as Computational Systems Biology (CSB) at UCLA. The program offers a diverse curriculum and the option to specialize in areas such as neurosystems, CS, molecular biology, or bioinformatics. Some concerns are raised about finding a job in this emerging field and the potential for acceptance into engineering graduate programs. The decision ultimately depends on the individual's interests and goals, and it may be beneficial to also pursue a double major in math or applied math.
accioquote
I was wondering what are the general opinions on the field? I am a freshman physics major planning to switch to this major. I can basically pursue an emphasis on neurosystems, CS, molecular biology or bioinformatics. If I do end up majoring in CSB, I will probably double major with math or applied math. Would it still be possible to get into good graduate programs for engineering(EE/CS/BioE or even MechE?) Or would it be better to play it safe with a physics major? Any advice is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds just like UCLA's program. Is it? If so, it looks like a very interesting program. You get a mixture of programming, engineering and math classes. You will also have a dose of chem, bio and organic chemistry. I am interested in hearing more of what others have to say. I suggest you inform others a little more of the curriculum, so they have an idea if it will prepare you or not.

This is an emerging and very exciting field. It may be difficult at first to find a job because of its cross-disciplinary and specialized nature. However, I would go for it but ultimately the decision is yours to make.

Yep, it is UCLA's program! It's actually a couple of decades old apparently. Well basically, you pretty much have almost the same lower div prereqs as physics, math, chem, life science and CS majors(lower div programming, o chem, upper div linear algebra, a bit of EE, basically all the classes without labs). The five pathways to pick subsequently are systems bio(bio heavy), bioinformatics(CS heavy), neurosystems(EE heavy), computers and biosystems(CS heavy) and biomedical systems(bioengineering/stats/math heavy). A senior year project is required.

Would it put me on level playing ground with other applicants for engineering grad school? I really am not very sure about my plans though unfortunately(what to do with life after undergrad). I would like to keep as many options open though. Like I mentioned though, I will probably be double majoring in applied math or math, depending on the time.

Last edited:
^ Any thoughts on this?

It depends on entirely what engineering grad school you apply to and whether you've contacted faculty and have research experience that fits their current research agenda.

1. What is Computational Systems Biology?

Computational Systems Biology is an interdisciplinary field that combines biology, computer science, and mathematics to study complex biological systems. It involves using computational tools and techniques to analyze and model biological data in order to gain a better understanding of biological processes.

2. What are some applications of Computational Systems Biology?

Some applications of Computational Systems Biology include drug discovery and development, biomarker identification, disease diagnosis and treatment, and understanding biological networks and pathways.

3. How does Computational Systems Biology differ from traditional biology?

Traditional biology focuses on studying individual components of a biological system, while Computational Systems Biology takes a holistic approach and studies the system as a whole. It also relies heavily on computer-based analysis and modeling, while traditional biology relies more on experimental methods.

4. What are some computational tools used in Computational Systems Biology?

Some common computational tools used in Computational Systems Biology include bioinformatics software, statistical methods, network analysis tools, and modeling and simulation software.

5. What are the benefits of using Computational Systems Biology in research?

Using Computational Systems Biology allows for a more comprehensive and quantitative understanding of biological systems, which can lead to more accurate predictions and discoveries. It also allows for the integration of large and complex datasets, making it easier to identify patterns and relationships that may not be apparent through traditional methods.