1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Systems Biology?

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    I was wondering what are the general opinions on the field? I am a freshman physics major planning to switch to this major. I can basically pursue an emphasis on neurosystems, CS, molecular biology or bioinformatics. If I do end up majoring in CSB, I will probably double major with math or applied math. Would it still be possible to get into good graduate programs for engineering(EE/CS/BioE or even MechE?) Or would it be better to play it safe with a physics major? Any advice is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2014 #2
    This sounds just like UCLA's program. Is it? If so, it looks like a very interesting program. You get a mixture of programming, engineering and math classes. You will also have a dose of chem, bio and organic chemistry. I am interested in hearing more of what others have to say. I suggest you inform others a little more of the curriculum, so they have an idea if it will prepare you or not.

4. May 8, 2014 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This is an emerging and very exciting field. It may be difficult at first to find a job because of its cross-disciplinary and specialized nature. However, I would go for it but ultimately the decision is yours to make.

5. May 8, 2014 #4
    Yep, it is UCLA's program! It's actually a couple of decades old apparently. Well basically, you pretty much have almost the same lower div prereqs as physics, math, chem, life science and CS majors(lower div programming, o chem, upper div linear algebra, a bit of EE, basically all the classes without labs). The five pathways to pick subsequently are systems bio(bio heavy), bioinformatics(CS heavy), neurosystems(EE heavy), computers and biosystems(CS heavy) and biomedical systems(bioengineering/stats/math heavy). A senior year project is required.

Would it put me on level playing ground with other applicants for engineering grad school? I really am not very sure about my plans though unfortunately(what to do with life after undergrad). I would like to keep as many options open though. Like I mentioned though, I will probably be double majoring in applied math or math, depending on the time.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  6. May 17, 2014 #5
    ^ Any thoughts on this?

7. May 17, 2014 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It depends on entirely what engineering grad school you apply to and whether you've contacted faculty and have research experience that fits their current research agenda.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook