Then, as ##b## goes to 0, can you find the limit of each factor separately?

In summary: Then you have two limits to take, one of them as ##x\to 0## and one of them as ##b\to 0##.Note that ##(a+bx)^{1/b}## is a tricky one because ##1/b## is a sequence that can take on infinitely many values. You'll have to use some very clever estimate to handle that one.
econmajor

Homework Statement

a. Compute the limit for f(x) as b goes to 0

Homework Equations

$$f(x) = \frac{(a+bx)^{1-1/b}}{b-1}$$
##a \in R##, ##b\in R##, ##x\in R##

The Attempt at a Solution

##a+bx## goes to ##a##
##1/b## goes to ##\infty## so ##1-1/b## goes to ##-\infty##
##(a+bx)^{1-1/b}## then goes to 0
##b-1## goes to -1

I have no ideas how to combine and conclude. Which mathematical property/rule can I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
econmajor said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##a+bx## goes to ##a##
##b-1## goes to -1

I have no ideas how to combine and conclude. Which mathematical property/rule can I use?
You could simply combine your stuff and find a nominator zero and a denominator minus one, a quotient which can be calculated. However, there is a question: What happens in case ##a=1\,##? And is there a different behavior for numbers ##a<1## and ##a>1\,##?

Nothing of it is actually a proof, so do you have to prove your result? Or do you just have to calculate the limit by given formulas, in which case I'd like to know which ones do you have?

econmajor said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##a+bx## goes to ##a##
##b-1## goes to -1

You can't work with the quantities involved in isolation. For example, consider ##\lim_{x \to 0} (1 + x)^{1/x}##. One might think this limit is 1, since 1 + x is approaching 1, and 1/x is getting larger and larger. Thinking that 1 to any power is still 1, one might conclude that the limit in my example is 1. However, the correct value is the number e.
I don't have any good advice on your limit, but I'll see if I can come up with something.

Try rewriting ##f(x)## as
$$f(x) = \frac{a+bx}{b-1}\cdot \frac{1}{(a+bx)^{1/b}}.$$

What is a limit in computational mathematics?

A limit in computational mathematics refers to the value that a mathematical function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a particular value. In other words, it is the value that a function is "heading towards" as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

Why are limits important in computational mathematics?

Limits are important in computational mathematics because they allow us to better understand and analyze the behavior of mathematical functions and sequences. They are also essential in calculus, as they form the basis for derivatives and integrals.

How do you compute limits?

To compute a limit, you can use the algebraic properties of limits, such as the limit laws, to simplify the function. You can also use graphing or numerical methods, such as using a table of values or a calculator, to estimate the limit. In some cases, you may need to use special techniques, such as L'Hôpital's rule, to find the limit.

What is the difference between one-sided and two-sided limits?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function approaching a specific value from one side, either from the left or the right. This is denoted by using a "+" or "-" sign as a superscript. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of a function approaching a specific value from both sides and is denoted by using the limit notation without any superscript.

What are some real-world applications of limits?

Limits have various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, limits can be used to model the speed of an object at a specific time or the rate of change in a system. In economics, limits can be used to analyze the behavior of supply and demand curves. Additionally, limits are used in computer science to optimize algorithms and improve computational efficiency.