Compute acceleration and tension in the cord

In summary, the 4.9 m/s^2 acceleration is due to the weight of the 12 kg block pulling the cord in the opposite direction.
skysunsand

Homework Statement

A cord passing over a frictionless, massless pulley has a 4.0 kg object tied to one end and a 12 kg object tied to the other. Compute the tension and acceleration in the cord.

Right now, I'm just trying to calculate the acceleration. It is supposed to be 4.9 m/s^2

Homework Equations

F=ma
T1=T2=0
T1-mg=ma
T2-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 4kg block-

F=ma
T1-mg = ma

T1-39.2 = 4a
Solving in terms of T1 to get
T1= 4a+39.2

For the 12kg block-
F=ma
T2-mg = ma

T2-117.6= 12a
Solving in terms of T2-
T2= 12a+ 117.6

Now, because T1=T2, I can say

12a+ 117.6 = 4a+ 39.2
But then I end up with a=9.8.

The answer is 4.9, which, incidentally, is 9.8/2.

Do I have to divide by 2 because I have two cords? Or is there some other reason I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the following is correct can you solve for T and a?

Attachments

• aaaaa109.jpg
    aaaaa109.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,283
Spinnor said:
Assuming the following is correct can you solve for T and a?

Yeah, you'd set T=4a + 4g , plug that into the other equation for T, to get

12g+(-4a-4g) = 12a
to get
8g=16a
8*9.8 = 16a

a=4.9

Ah. I must have screwed up somewhere in my algebra.

Thank you!

skysunsand said:
The answer is 4.9, which, incidentally, is 9.8/2.

Do I have to divide by 2 because I have two cords? Or is there some other reason I am missing?

co-incidence almost.

One way to view this: the weight of a 4 kg mass is pulling one way, and the weight of a 12 kg mass is pulling the other way.

If you consider the weight of the 4 kg mass cancells out [balances if you like] 4 of the other 12, we have a net force equal to the weight of an 8kg mass to accelerate this system - which has a total mass of 16 kg.

Now the weight of a 16 kg mass will accelerate a 16kg mass at 9.8 ms-2, so we would expect that half that weight would achieve only half that acceleration → 4.9 ms-2

Another way to solve this problem is to use just two directions for forces. It may sound crazy, but I have seen this procedure in two or more textbooks.
The positive direction would the direction of motion (the direction of falling of the 12-kg block). This way, if m1 is the 12-kg block, and m2 is the 4-kg block, we would have the following system of equations (each equation for a separate free-body diagram):

-T + m1g = m1a
T - m2g = m2a

I got 58.8 N for tension, and 4.9 m/s^2 for acceleration ;)

What is compute acceleration and tension in the cord?

Compute acceleration and tension in the cord refers to using mathematical equations and principles to determine the rate of change of velocity and the force exerted on a cord or string.

What factors affect the acceleration and tension in a cord?

The acceleration and tension in a cord can be affected by the mass of the object attached to the cord, the length and thickness of the cord, and the force applied to the object or the cord itself.

How do you calculate acceleration and tension in a cord?

To calculate acceleration, you can use the equation a=F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass. To calculate tension, you can use the equation T=ma, where T is tension, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What units are used to measure acceleration and tension?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²). Tension is typically measured in newtons (N), the unit for force.

How does acceleration and tension in a cord affect the motion of an object?

The acceleration and tension in a cord can affect the motion of an object by determining how quickly the object moves and in what direction, as well as the force applied to the object. A higher acceleration and tension can result in a faster and more forceful motion, while a lower acceleration and tension can result in a slower and less forceful motion.