Compute commutator of [P^m, X^n]

• Thread starter Don'tKnowMuch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, when calculating the commutator [P^m, X^n], one can use the property of the commutator [AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B and apply it repeatedly to obtain the result of n(h-bar/i) times the summation of P^(m-k)X^(n-1)P^(k-1), where k ranges from 1 to m.
Don'tKnowMuch

Homework Statement

Calculate [P^m, X^n]

Homework Equations

[P,X] = PX - XP

The Attempt at a Solution

P( P^(m-1) * X^(n-1))X - (X^n)(P^n)

=(XP +[P, X])(P^(m-1)*X^(n-1)) - (X^n)(P^n)
=(P^m)(X^n) + [P, X](P^(m-1))(X^(n-1))- (X^n)(P^n)...

I don't think the direction i am taking will be helpful. Is there some other way to do this particular commutator? I know how to do [P, X^n], but my methods fail when P is raised to some power.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don'tKnowMuch said:

Homework Statement

Calculate [P^m, X^n]

Homework Equations

[P,X] = PX - XP

The Attempt at a Solution

P( P^(m-1) * X^(n-1))X - (X^n)(P^n)

=(XP +[P, X])(P^(m-1)*X^(n-1)) - (X^n)(P^n)
=(P^m)(X^n) + [P, X](P^(m-1))(X^(n-1))- (X^n)(P^n)...

I don't think the direction i am taking will be helpful. Is there some other way to do this particular commutator? I know how to do [P, X^n], but my methods fail when P is raised to some power.

How did you do [P,X^n]? What did you get?

My first step was...

P(X^n)- (X^n)P

Then i pulled an X out of the first term and rewrote...

(PX)X^(n-1)-(X^n)P

After this, i substituted XP + [P,X] for the (PX) in the first term. Rewriting...

(XP + [P,X])*X^(n-1) - (X^n)P

Distributing the X^(n-1) and then pulling out another X to make another substitution...

X( XP + [P, X])*X^(n-2) + [P, X]*X^(n-1) - (X^n)P

After distributing, this reduces to...

(X^2)PX^(n-2) + 2[P, X]X^(n-1) - (X^n)P

This process of pulling out an X, substituting, and distributing can be repeated to obtain the pattern...

n[P, X]X^(n-1)

which can be rewritten as...

n( h-bar/ i )* X^(n-1)

I guess I'm not really seeing what to do with the general case. In a specific case like [X^2,P^2] you can use your commutation relation to exchange X's and P's and you can get something like i*hbar*(2XP+2PX) (or as an expression in terms of PX or XP alone, but I'm not really seeing how to generalize that or what combination of operators the answer should be expressed in. I'll keep thinking about it though.

Thank you for the effort. My professor very briefly went over this, and his way went something like...

[P^m, X^n]= P(m-1)[P, X^n] + P(m-2)[P, X^n]P + P(m-3)[P, X^n]P^2...

He then jumped to the answer...

n( h-bar/i) * Ʃ(P^(m-k)X^(n-1)P^(k-1))

I am lost in the math jungle. It looks like he used some sort of expansion. Maybe a taylor, or binomial. I am principally uncertain.

[AB , C] = A[B , C] + [A , C]B

Apply this repeatedly:

[P^m , X^n] = [P^(m-1)P , X^n]

= P^(m-1)[P , X^n] + [P^(m-1) , X^n]P

= P^(m-1)[P , X^n] + ([P^(m-2) P, X^n])P

= P^(m-1)[P , X^n] + (P^(m-2) [P, X^n] + [P^(m-2), X^n]P )P

Etc. Now use the result for [P , x^n].

Your professor is using the property of the commutator that it has a kind of product rule. [AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B. C is your X^n and replace the AB with P^m=PPPP... m times. The rules extends in the obvious way if AB has more than two factors.

Gentlemen, thank you kindly. Greatly appreciated. Cool quote George; I will remember that.

cheers

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation used to measure the degree to which two operations do not commute.

2. How do you compute the commutator of two operators?

To compute the commutator of two operators, you must first multiply the two operators together in the order specified, then subtract the result when the operators are multiplied in the opposite order.

3. What is the significance of computing the commutator of two operators?

The commutator of two operators is important in quantum mechanics as it helps determine the uncertainty in the measurements of two physical quantities.

4. Can the commutator of two operators be zero?

Yes, the commutator of two operators can be zero if the operators commute, meaning they can be multiplied in any order without changing the result.

5. How does the commutator of [P^m, X^n] relate to momentum and position operators?

The commutator of [P^m, X^n] is equal to iħmP^(m-n), where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant. This relationship is used in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in momentum and position must be greater than or equal to ħ/2.