Compute Electric Field from Electric Currents

In summary, The conversation discusses an equation for computing the electric field from electric currents, with given data values for variables. The speaker has three questions about the equation, including how to compute E_x, E_y, and E_z. They also inquire about the symbol "|" and how to handle the imaginary parts of C_1 and C_2. The expert suggests using complex numbers and performing the calculation with scalar and vector multiplication.
ggeo1
Hello,

I have this equation that computes the electric field from electric currents.

E=-j*k_n (J*C_1- (J*R|R*C_2) e^ -j*k*R/4πR )

The data are:

k_n=377 , k=20.93 , R=Sqrt(3) ,J_x=0.72576821 ,J_y=0.03763659 , J_z=0.86104220 ,
C_1=0.999239077741 + 1 / 36.2518234024j
C_2=0.997717233223+ 3 / 36.25182344024j

R_x=R_y=R_z=0.57735026919

I have 3 questions.

1) From the above equation i must compute E_x ,E_y,E_z.
When i compute E_x i will compute J_x*C_1 - (J*R|R*C_2) ?
And specific: I will compute the J*R dot product as : J*R=J_x*R_x+J_y*R_y+J_z*R_z ?
Or only the J*R=J_x*R_x ?

2) The computation J*R|R*C_2 . How will i do the computation for the symbol ' | ' ?
I will compute the dot product , then the R_x*C_2 and then what?How to compute the whole
J*R|R*C_2 ?

3) How to deal with the C_1 and C_2? I mean they have the imaginary part in the denominator.What is the best approach?

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does the symbol "|" represent? It does not look like standard notation.

C_2 is a scalar? In this case, both J*R and C_2 are scalars, and I would assume that you can just perform a scalar multiplication with your vector.

When i compute E_x i will compute J_x*C_1 - (J*R|R*C_2) ?
Don't forget the exponential which is multiplied with the latter term.

And specific: I will compute the J*R dot product as : J*R=J_x*R_x+J_y*R_y+J_z*R_z ?
You should do this, right.

3) How to deal with the C_1 and C_2? I mean they have the imaginary part in the denominator.What is the best approach?
1/10 does not look high, but I would perform the whole calculation with complex numbers. If the result is not real, try to find an interpretation - maybe you can simply drop the imaginary part.

Hello and thanks for the help.

C_1 and C_2 are scalars.

So, ok J*R=..=scalar.

But i can't understand how to do the (J*R|R*C_2) .
I will compute the J*R and then the R*C_2 , and then what?

I think it's

((J*R) *C_2 )*R , where R i will put R_x?

Then for E_y i will put R_y?

I would try to just multiply them as scalar*vector.

[tex](\vec{J}*\vec{R}|\vec{R}*C_2) \stackrel{?}{=} \left(C_2 (\vec{J}*\vec{R})\right) \vec{R}[/tex]

Edit:
I think it's

((J*R) *C_2 )*R , where R i will put R_x?

Then for E_y i will put R_y?
Should work.
It is speculative, and maybe you should check where the formula comes from.

Ok , thanks!

1. How do you calculate the electric field from electric currents?

The electric field from electric currents can be calculated using the formula E = I/4πεr, where E is the electric field, I is the current, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance from the current.

2. What is the relationship between electric field and electric currents?

The electric field is created by electric currents. When a current flows through a medium, it creates a disturbance in the electric field, causing it to propagate outward from the current.

3. How does the direction of the electric current affect the electric field?

The direction of the electric current determines the direction of the electric field. The electric field lines will point in the direction of the current, from positive to negative.

4. Can the electric field from electric currents be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the electric field from electric currents can be manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the current. Additionally, by changing the medium, such as using a conductor or an insulator, the electric field can also be controlled.

5. What are some real-life applications of computing electric field from electric currents?

There are many real-life applications of computing electric field from electric currents, such as designing circuitry for electronic devices, predicting and preventing power surges in electrical systems, and understanding the impact of electric currents on the human body for medical purposes.