1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute potential differnce between two points due to constant electrostatic field?

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    Problem - Compute the potential difference between the points (4,6,3) and (8,1,6) due to a constant electrostatic field given by E = (2 ihat + 7 jhat + 12 khat) N/C. distance in meters

2. Relevant equations

Fq = qE

Vr = Keq1/(r-r1)

Fq = (Kq1 (r-r1))/(r-r1)3

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't figure out how to solve.

Currently I combined the two points to find the vector magnitude and then found the maginute of E. then plugged into the Fq = qE problem to solve for q. Then plugged into the Vr equation. I don't believe this is correct though and should be using the third equation as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2
    Re: Compute potential differnce between two points due to constant electrostatic fiel

Try
    [tex] V = - \int \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l}[/tex]

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    Re: Compute potential differnce between two points due to constant electrostatic fiel

The class is not calculus based. It has to be worked by algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook