Compute the electric field in air

In summary, you would need to add the electric fields from the two points to find the total electric field.
in10sivkid
hi I don't exactly know how to approach this problem

Compute the electric field in air midway bewteen two point charges of 20*10^-8C and -5*10^-8C separated by a distance of 10cm

i was thinking of finding V of both the charges and finding the difference between them

so V1 = k(20*10^-8C)/(.1m) - k(-5*-10^-8C)/(.1m)

where k = 9.0*10^9 N*m^2/C^2

then you know V then you can do V/r = E

am i even close?

Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] field at a point due to multiple charges is the sum of the [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] fields from each charge. You do not have to worry about the voltage. As far as the equation V/r=E, I have never heard of it and I am pretty sure that it can only be valid for point charges or spheres, because otherwise I don't even know what "r" refers to.

Last edited:
ok then...what formula do i use to calculate E fields given this information...thats how i was thinking to get to E using that equation

electric field = voltage/radius = E = V/r by the way
i got it from my professor in lecture

in10sivkid said:
ok then...what formula do i use to calculate E fields given this information...thats how i was thinking to get to E using that equation

electric field = voltage/radius = E = V/r by the way
i got it from my professor in lecture
In general the relationship between electric potential and electric field is that the change in potential is the work per unit charge to move a charge through an electric field. The customary choice for potential of a point charge is to say the potential is zero infinitely far from the charge. When that choice is made, your equation E = V/r is valid for a single point charge. In your problem, the potential at a point would be the sum of the two potentials from the two charges. If those charges were equal and opposite (they are not in your problem) the potential would be zero midway between them, but the electric field would not be zero. You cannot use E = V/r except for one point charge or a spherically symmetric charge distribution.

What you want to do in your problem is work directly with the electric fields. The electric field from a point charge is the force per unit charge on a test charge used to sample the field. From Coulomb's law this is a vector equal to the Coulomb force on the test charge divided by the test charge. The magnitude is kQ/(r^2) and points toward the charge for negative charges and away from the charge for positive charges. You must add the two vector fields to find the toal field created by the two charges. This is not difficult at the point midway between the two because the field directions are parallel.

ok so would this be good then

i did

(9*10^9 N*M2/C2)(20*10-8 C)/(.05)^2 - (9.0*10^9 N*M2/C2)(-5*10^-8 C)/(.05)^2?

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field in air?

The formula for calculating the electric field in air is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

2. How does the electric field in air differ from the electric field in other materials?

The electric field in air differs from the electric field in other materials because air is considered an insulator, meaning it does not conduct electricity. This results in a weaker electric field compared to conductors.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in air?

The strength of the electric field in air is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the charge, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding materials. Factors such as humidity and temperature can also have a slight impact on the electric field.

4. Can the electric field in air be negative?

Yes, the electric field in air can be negative. This means that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of a positive charge. It is important to note that the magnitude of the electric field can never be negative, only its direction.

5. How is the electric field in air measured?

The electric field in air can be measured using an instrument called an electric field meter. This device measures the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point in space. The unit of measurement for electric field is volts per meter (V/m).