1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute the limit

1. Jul 6, 2016 #1
    • Member warned that the homework template is not optional
    Hey! Can somebody take a look on these two limit problems? I don't agree with the answer to #15, which is supposed to be 0 while I get infinity. #16 seems to ask to find the value of the sum...I posted a pic of my attempts to solve the problems below.
    upload_2016-7-6_13-3-12.png
    upload_2016-7-6_13-4-2.png

My attempts:
    upload_2016-7-6_13-20-27.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

#15 is asking for the limit *from above*. When [itex]\pi/2 < x < \pi[/itex], [itex]\tan x[/itex] is negative.

However you are correct that the limit *from below* is [itex]e^{+\infty} = +\infty[/itex].

4. Jul 6, 2016 #3
    Ooooh, I see! Thanks!

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4
    • Poster has been reminded to not do the student's homework for them
    For Problem 16, the approach should be to convert the summation into an integral thus:
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{3}{n} \sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{3i}{n}\right)^2} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{3 \Delta i}{n} \sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{3i}{n}\right)^2} [/tex]
    where ##\Delta i = 1##.
    Then, it is straightforward to have a variable ##\lambda = i / n##, so that in the limit ##n \to \infty##, the summation becomes the integral
    [tex]\int_{0}^{1}d\lambda\,\,3\sqrt{9 - 3\lambda^2 } [/tex]

6. Jul 6, 2016 #5
    Thanks! I understand the substitution, but don't quite get how you came up with the limits of integration (0 and 1).

7. Jul 6, 2016 #6
    The variable ##\lambda = i/n## takes values between ##0## (i = 1) and ##1## (i = n), which are the corresponding limits of the original summation.

8. Jul 6, 2016 #7
    The limits make sense then. I'm trying to compute the integral and something is really off...

9. Jul 6, 2016 #8
    Here's what I get when I try to compute the integral

Attached Files:

10. Jul 6, 2016 #9
    The integration is not correct; you need to use integration by parts - remember its an ##u^2## under the square root.

11. Jul 7, 2016 #10
    I set u=sqrt(1-u^2) (du=-u/sqrt(1-u^2) and dv=du, so that v=u. But this didn't help much, since I still need in integrate sqrt. (1-u^2). It started to look more like inverse sine though.

Attached Files:

12. Jul 7, 2016 #11
    Actually nevermind about the integration by parts; it's much faster to do a substitution directly on the original integral ##\int d\lambda \,\,\sqrt{1-\lambda^2}## - let ##\lambda \equiv \sin \theta## and proceed accordingly.

13. Jul 8, 2016 #12
    Yeah, I used trig sub and got the answer I was supposed to. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted