Compute the self inductance

In summary, to calculate the self-inductance of a hairpin, we use the equation L=\phi/I and assume a tiny wire radius of e. The book's solution includes a 2 because the hairpin is essentially a looped wire with current flowing in both directions, resulting in a net magnetic field of 0. However, for self-inductance, we need to consider the flux created by both sides of the wire, hence the multiplication by 2 in the solution.
leonne

Homework Statement

calc the self inductance of a hairpin...to get a definite answer assume the wire has a tiny radius of e

Homework Equations

L=[tex]\phi[/tex]/I

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found the b field [tex]\mu[/tex]I/2[tex]\pi[/tex]s
than for the flux, I got [tex]\mu[/tex]I/2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]1/s Lds
In the book, they got the same thing, but they had it 2[tex]\mu[/tex]I/2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]1/s Lds
Where did they get the 2 from? is it becasue we find the flux for both top wire and bottom wire?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question! The reason for the 2 in the book's solution is because the hairpin is essentially a looped wire, with current flowing in both directions (clockwise and counterclockwise) along the two sides of the hairpin. This means that the magnetic field created by one side will cancel out the magnetic field created by the other side, resulting in a net magnetic field of 0. However, when calculating the self-inductance, we need to consider the flux created by both sides of the wire, so we multiply by 2. I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is self inductance?

Self inductance is a measure of the ability of a current-carrying conductor to induce a voltage in itself. It is caused by the magnetic field that is produced by the current flowing through the conductor.

2. How is self inductance calculated?

The self inductance of a conductor can be calculated using the formula L = (μ0 * N^2 * A) / l, where L is the self inductance, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the conductor, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the conductor.

3. What is the unit of self inductance?

The unit of self inductance is the Henry (H), named after the physicist Joseph Henry. One Henry is equal to one volt-second per ampere (V*s/A).

4. How does self inductance affect a circuit?

Self inductance can affect a circuit by creating a back electromotive force (EMF) that opposes the change in current. This can cause the circuit to experience voltage spikes and can also hinder the flow of current in the circuit.

5. How can self inductance be reduced?

Self inductance can be reduced by using materials with lower permeability, increasing the distance between conductors, or by using techniques such as twisting or braiding the conductors to cancel out their magnetic fields.