1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute volume of group SU(2)

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the volume of the group SU(2)

2. Relevant equations

Possibly related: in a previous part of the problem I showed that any element

[itex]g = cos(\theta) + i \hat{n} \cdot \vec{\sigma}sin(\theta)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

How do I compute the infinitesimal volume element dV?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are a few ways to do this, but it depends on where you are coming from, type of course, etc. If you know that ##SU(2)=S^3##, you can use your parameterization to define coordinates on the 3-sphere as imbedded in ##\mathbb{R}^4##. If you know some more geometry, you could construct the Lie-algebra valued 1-form ##\omega = g^{-1} dg## and then use that to construct a volume form.

In order to be more helpful (within the rules of the forum that say only give hints), you'd have to be more precise about what you already know.

4. May 6, 2013 #3
    I have heard somewhere(I don't remember where) that
    U(n)/U(n-1)=S2n-1,where Sn is n dimensional sphere embedded in Rn+1.With U(1)=2∏ one can go on for simple manipulation to get U(n).But I can not go for any book which contain any information about this.May be someone can provide any reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted