What is the Best Computer Algebra System Software for Learning Aid Purposes?

In summary, Keith is looking for recommendations for a good cas software package that features a step-by-step solver with substitutions for integrals. Cost is not an issue as long as there is a student edition available, otherwise the limit is $200 to $300. Suggestions include Calculus Assistant by Mathpert or Mupad, Casio's Algebra FX 2.0 calculator, and a list of programs found on the Algebrator website ranging from $30 to $1495.
kdinser
I'm looking for recommendations for a good cas software package.

The main thing that I'm looking for is a step by step solver where everything is shown, including substitutions for integral (no, I'm not looking for something to do my homework for me :smile: , it's not even graded or collected).

My primary use for it now is as a learning aid, the solutions manual just skips way to many steps. It's to the point now where it doesn't even show the substitutions it's making and that's what I have the most trouble with.

Cost isn't an issue if they offer a student edition, if not then $200 to $300 would be about my limit. Any advice would be very welcome, thanks

Keith

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try calculus assistant by mathpert or mupad which you can down for free on the net. You may have to go to a software store for calculus assistant, i.e microcenter

This might be slightly off topic, but Casio makes a calculator called the 'Algebra FX 2.0.' It's not quite as functional as a TI-89 or HP-49g+, but it does feature a wonderful program that shows simplifications (step-by-step) for tons of functions of some general form. I've seen some for around $50.

Prices range from 30 dollars for cheapest to 1495 dollars--- Woah!

most around 100

What is a computer algebra system?

A computer algebra system (CAS) is a software program that is capable of performing symbolic mathematical computations. It can manipulate mathematical equations and expressions, solve equations, simplify expressions, and perform other mathematical operations.

What are the benefits of using a computer algebra system?

A CAS can save time and effort in solving complex mathematical problems by automating the process and providing step-by-step solutions. It can also handle large and complicated equations that may be difficult to solve by hand. Additionally, a CAS can be used for data analysis, visualization, and simulation.

What is the difference between a computer algebra system and a traditional calculator?

A traditional calculator is limited to performing numerical calculations, while a CAS can handle symbolic calculations. This means that a CAS can work with variables, equations, and functions, whereas a calculator can only work with numbers. Also, a CAS provides more advanced features such as solving equations and graphing functions.

Are there any popular computer algebra systems available?

Yes, there are several popular CAS programs available, such as Mathematica, Maple, and Wolfram Alpha. These programs are widely used in various fields of science, mathematics, engineering, and finance.

Can anyone use a computer algebra system?

Yes, anyone with basic knowledge of mathematics can use a computer algebra system. However, some CAS programs may have a steeper learning curve and require more advanced mathematical skills to utilize all of their features.