Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer algebra system?

1. Sep 22, 2004 #1
    I'm looking for recommendations for a good cas software package.

The main thing that I'm looking for is a step by step solver where everthing is shown, including substitutions for integral (no, I'm not looking for something to do my homework for me :smile: , it's not even graded or collected).

My primary use for it now is as a learning aid, the solutions manual just skips way to many steps. It's to the point now where it doesn't even show the substitutions it's making and that's what I have the most trouble with.

Cost isn't an issue if they offer a student edition, if not then $200 to $300 would be about my limit. Any advice would be very welcome, thanks

Keith

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2004 #2
    Try calculus assistant by mathpert or mupad which you can down for free on the net. You may have to go to a software store for calculus assistant, i.e microcenter

4. Oct 23, 2004 #3

graphic7

Gold Member

This might be slightly off topic, but Casio makes a calculator called the 'Algebra FX 2.0.' It's not quite as functional as a TI-89 or HP-49g+, but it does feature a wonderful program that shows simplifications (step-by-step) for tons of functions of some general form. I've seen some for around $50.

5. Oct 25, 2004 #4
  6. Oct 25, 2004 #5
    Prices range from 30 dollars for cheapest to 1495 dollars--- Woah!

most around 100

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?