Computer Architecture Practice Final Questions

In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to computer architecture, including the advantages and disadvantages of larger cell sizes for main memory, the appropriate size of the memory address register for a given main memory size, the number of distinct op-codes and maximum memory size for a specific instruction register structure, and the use of BNF grammars in describing the structure of US telephone numbers.
JasonJo
hey I have some computer architecture questions that are freaking me out:

1) what are the disadvantages and advantages of having larger cell sizes for main memory?
i said an advantage would be that we could store larger binary digits but a disadvantage would be that we would have fewer cells to use and you would need a big MAR to store the cell addresses.
any thoughts?

2) for a main memory size of 500,000 bytes, how big should the MAR be? i figured it should be 22 bits, since 500kb almost equal to 8mb, and 8mb is 2^22 bits. am i on the right track with this one?

3) this one i just have no clue on:
Suppose we structure our instruction register such that 6 bits are reserved for the op-code, 20 bits for the first memory address, 20 bits for the second memory address, and 20 for the third memory address. How many distinct op-codes can we use on this machine and what is the maximum size of the memory?

4) this one if you want to try also
-Write a BNF grammar that describes the structure of US telephone numbers, which is in the form (xxx)xxx-xxxx or xxx-xxxx where x is any digit from 0 to 9. (1 point)

-Write another BNF that recognizes the fact that the middle digit of an area code must be a 0, 1, 2, or 3, the first digit of an area code cannot be a 0 or 1, and the first digit of the seven digit phone number cannot be a 0 or 1.

i have no idea what a BNF grammar is! lol

I got the possible op codes down, 2^6 or 64 possible op codes. but the maximum size of memory?? as you can tell, i am having huge difficulties with the structure and function of main memory and MAR/MDR stuff.

any help would be awesome, my final is coming up in a week, I am jut trying to get a good grasp on this topic that i am very weak in.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting questions Jason. People here can help you and you might find additional help down below in the Software and Hardware forums. Try those too.

JasonJo said:
hey I have some computer architecture questions that are freaking me out:

1) what are the disadvantages and advantages of having larger cell sizes for main memory?
i said an advantage would be that we could store larger binary digits but a disadvantage would be that we would have fewer cells to use and you would need a big MAR to store the cell addresses.
any thoughts?

Let me try:

Do you mean number of bits per memory address? Those bits are transmitted from RAM to CPU via a data bus consisting of individual electric lines on the circuit board. Switching from 8 to 16 makes designing the boards more complicated.

2) for a main memory size of 500,000 bytes, how big should the MAR be? i figured it should be 22 bits, since 500kb almost equal to 8mb, and 8mb is 2^22 bits. am i on the right track with this one?

I assume you mean memory address register? Or instruction register as I see it. RAM is accessed in bytes: one address for each byte. How many bits does it take to write 500,000 in base 2?

Suppose we structure our instruction register such that 6 bits are reserved for the op-code, 20 bits for the first memory address, 20 bits for the second memory address, and 20 for the third memory address. How many distinct op-codes can we use on this machine and what is the maximum size of the memory?

Same dif: What's the largest number you can write with 6 bits? 20 bits?

-Write a BNF grammar that describes the structure of US telephone numbers, which is in the form (xxx)xxx-xxxx or xxx-xxxx where x is any digit from 0 to 9. (1 point)

-Write another BNF that recognizes the fact that the middle digit of an area code must be a 0, 1, 2, or 3, the first digit of an area code cannot be a 0 or 1, and the first digit of the seven digit phone number cannot be a 0 or 1.

BNF? you got me dude . . .

What's remarkable is that I have a degree in computer engineering and 10 years of programming experience... and most of your post makes no sense to me. Perhaps your teacher is teaching you in a non-standard way, but your terminology isn't even recognizable. What's a "cell" in memory? A single bit? I have also never heard of BNF grammars.

- Warren

I suspect that BNF stands for BiNary Function, or perhaps Binary Notation Formula.

yes, he is very unconventional to be honest

thanks for the help guys!

JasonJo said:
any thoughts?
Assuming a "cell" is a byte or a minimum addressable word, the last thing you said is incorrect.

500 kb is almost equal to 8 mb?? Just use a calculator and try some test values for 2^n to see which is greater. Or, take the log base 2 of 500,000 and round up.

Well, in the course I took there was more addressability than there were memory address bits in the instruction register. This was accomplished by base-offset and indirect memory-access modes, and a third mode that I could describe but forget the name of. But I guess your course seems to assume a simpler scheme, so the advice saltydog gave is probably the answer expected.

I didn't know the word BNF, but I have done this. You want an opening parenthesis, three x's, a closing parenthesis, three x's, a dash, and four x's. For example:

<telephone-number> ::= <area-code> <prefix> "-" <suffix>
<area-code> ::= "(" <digit> <digit> <digit> ")"
<digit> ::= "0" | "1" | "2" | "3" | "4" | "5" | "6" | "7" | "8" | "9"
You can fill in the rest, and maybe you get the idea.

You will need new symbols, something like <digit-less-than-4> and <digit-greater-than-1>
i have no idea what a BNF grammar is! lol

I got the possible op codes down, 2^6 or 64 possible op codes. but the maximum size of memory?? as you can tell, i am having huge difficulties with the structure and function of main memory and MAR/MDR stuff.
The MAR is the memory address register, the place where instructions place memory addresses if they want to load something from memory or store it to memory. The MDR is the memory data register, the place where instructions place data to be stored or retrieve data that they loaded.
any help would be awesome, my final is coming up in a week, I am jut trying to get a good grasp on this topic that i am very weak in.

Last edited:
wow thanks for the detailed post!

btw, i meant 500kb = 8 million bits. so the MAR must be able to store addresses oh that range, sorry for the confusion. so the question is now, how many binary bits does it take to store up to 8 million? thanks guys

and i guess if i have 20 bits for an address field, maximum memory size would be 2^20 -1 ? like if i have 4 bits, the highest number i can store is 15 or 2^4 - 1? am i getting it?

you guys have been great, i really appreciate it

Last edited:
JasonJo said:

btw, i meant 500kb = 8 million bits. so the MAR must be able to store addresses oh that range, sorry for the confusion. so the question is now, how many binary bits does it take to store up to 8 million? thanks guys
No, you don't care about the bits, because the computer can't directly retrieve an arbitrary individual bit from memory.
and i guess if i have 20 bits for an address field, maximum memory size would be 2^20 -1 ? like if i have 4 bits, the highest number i can store is 15 or 2^4 - 1? am i getting it?
If you have 4 bits, what are the numbers you can store? Write them all down and count them up.

JasonJo said:

Hello Jason. RAM is organized in bytes. The CPU addresses RAM by bytes not bits. So when you load the instruction register with and address, say 100, during the fetch cycle, the byte at RAM address 100 will be fetched and placed in some CPU register, all 8 bits of it. Thus to address 500,000 bytes, need a memory address register with enough bits to distinctly reference each one of those bytes.

I tell you what Jason, don't mean to be rude or nothing but personally, if I were you, I'd start at page one of a good Architecture book, read it and work every single problem and don't go to problem 10 until I've worked the first nine and if I can't work problem 10, I go no further. So you do the same alright? You run into a problem you can't work, you keep reviewing other things, ask for help, research relevant topics, and just come up with some acceptable attempt at solving it before you go further Ok? :smile:

Edit: Alright, suppose I would skip problems just to make progress but you know what I mean. Good Luck!

Last edited:

1. What is computer architecture?

Computer architecture refers to the design and organization of hardware and software components within a computer system. It includes the instruction set architecture, memory hierarchy, and input/output systems.

2. What is the purpose of a computer architecture practice final?

The purpose of a computer architecture practice final is to assess a student's understanding and application of concepts related to computer architecture. It allows students to practice and demonstrate their knowledge before taking a final exam.

3. What topics are typically covered in a computer architecture practice final?

A computer architecture practice final may cover a variety of topics, including instruction set design, memory organization, pipelining, cache memory, and virtual memory. It may also include questions on computer performance and benchmarking.

4. How can I prepare for a computer architecture practice final?

To prepare for a computer architecture practice final, it is important to review lecture notes, textbook readings, and any practice exercises or assignments. It may also be helpful to work with classmates and attend review sessions or office hours with the instructor.

5. Can I use a computer architecture practice final to study for the actual final exam?

Yes, a computer architecture practice final can be a useful study tool for the actual final exam. It provides an opportunity to test your knowledge and identify areas for improvement. However, it is important to also review all materials covered throughout the course to fully prepare for the final exam.