Computer Engineer: Jobs, Branches & Careers

In summary: Anything else is really general to any sort of science degree.Cryptograhpy is one hot thing going on right now where lots of money can be made.
ranger
Gold Member
Is anyone here one? What kind of jobs can you get with this? Are there any branches to this. Like say after I finish my 4 years, can I branch off into a certain field?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Like say after I finish my 4 years,

Well I'm a 4th year student hehe. Not too far off from graduation and with some work experience under my belt in the form of a couple of coops. Sadly though, 4 years... way to be impossibly optimistic. It's usually a 5 year program following curriculum.

The thing with engineering is that its very robust. Think of it this way, you get a computer engineering degree but the big broad picture is all basically electrical engineering or system engineering. However you look at it. The finer details, like taking operating systems instead of antenna design are just that. The details. In the real world you will probably have a lot of learning from scratch to do anyways if you choose to go into R&D. Engineers also become project managers a lot of the time. I was involved in that on my first coop. Quite different from my 2nd R&D one. Even the pay was better :P

Usually though you can take an interrest in anything once you get near the end of your Bach. The bach is pretty general and doesn't offer many electives.

Any advice i can give being engineering specific is "good choice" and "cover your bases". Also, if you like your sleep and being surrounded by girls wrong degree :( Anything else is really general to any sort of science degree.

Cryptograhpy is one hot thing going on right now where lots of money can be made.

Are you interested in studying software engineering or more on the hardware side of things?

Think of it this way, you get a computer engineering degree but the big broad picture is all basically electrical engineering or system engineering.
In my first year of CE, I found myself doing courses in circuits and logic systems. I'm still yet to take a course that's computer oriented. Is CE like EE and computer science put together? Look at me, just started my second year and don't even know what CE actually is...lol.

Usually though you can take an interrest in anything once you get near the end of your Bach
What are some of these interests?

Are you interested in studying software engineering or more on the hardware side of things?
I'm not really a software guy. I know a little C. For me, hardware is the way I want to go.

What is a computer engineer?

A computer engineer is a professional who designs, develops, and tests computer systems and their components. They work on both hardware and software aspects of computer systems, including microprocessors, circuit boards, operating systems, and applications.

What are the job responsibilities of a computer engineer?

The job responsibilities of a computer engineer vary depending on their specific role and industry, but generally include designing and testing computer systems, troubleshooting technical issues, and collaborating with other engineers and teams to develop new technologies and products. They may also be responsible for managing projects, conducting research, and staying up-to-date on industry developments.

What are the different branches of computer engineering?

Computer engineering is a broad field with many different branches, including software engineering, hardware engineering, network engineering, and system engineering. Other specialized branches include computer graphics, artificial intelligence, and robotics.

What education and skills are required to become a computer engineer?

Most computer engineering jobs require at least a bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field. In addition to technical knowledge, computer engineers should also have strong problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills. They should also be proficient in programming languages, such as C++, Java, and Python.

What are the career opportunities for computer engineers?

Computer engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including technology, healthcare, finance, and manufacturing. Some common job titles for computer engineers include software engineer, hardware engineer, network engineer, and systems analyst. With experience and additional education, computer engineers can also advance to positions such as project manager, technical lead, or even a chief technology officer.