Computer Engineering Electives

In summary, for your career goal of becoming an Embedded Systems/Software Engineer, I recommend taking Signals & Systems, Random Signal Analysis, Embedded Systems Programming, Real-Time DSP Systems, and potentially Pattern Recognition/Radar Systems as your elective courses. These will provide you with a strong foundation in relevant concepts and prepare you well for your future career.
sj5
I'm beginning to look into my electives for junior/senior year. My career goal is to be an Embedded Systems/Software Engineer involving RTOS, device drivers, microcontrollers etc. I have two sets of electives, need 2 classes from each set. In each set, I separated the courses into those that are CE and EE prefix courses for clarification. I'm just wondering if I can get some professional embedded software engineer/computer engineer input on which would be my best selection. The EE courses would require me to take an additional preparatory course, but I guess that's not too much if it prepares me better.

1st set:
CE
Principles of Programming Languages
Introduction to Theoretical Computer Science
EE
Signals & Systems
Random Signal Analysis

2nd set:
CE
Embedded Systems
Compiler Construction
Operating System Internals
Distributed Software Development
Design and Analysis of Algorithms
Software Analysis and Design
EE
Real-Time DSP Systems
Digital Signal Processing
Communication Systems
Feedback Systems
Computer-Controlled Systems
other CS/CE courses(I don't believe these are quite as relevant, but not entirely sure)
Multimedia Information Systems
Database Management
Theory of Formal Languages
Software QA and Testing
Information Assurance
Computer Systems Security
Computer Network Security
Computer Graphics
Intro Artificial Intelligence
Numerical Linear Algebraic Data Exploration
Shape Analysis for Computer Vision and Graphics
Social Media Mining
Mobile Application Development

... from the first set I think the signals classes are more relevant but am not sure if i really need them. On the 2nd set, Embedded Systems Programming is probably an obvious choice but for the 2nd one I am kinda stumped..these seem most relevant: Real-Time DSP Systems, Computer-Controlled Systems, Digital Signal Processing, Feedback Systems...leaning towards taking Real_Time DSP Systems.??... I've thought about pattern recognition/radar systems so Shape Analysis for Computer Vision and Graphics or Multimedia Information Systems may also be relevant.

Technology news on Phys.org
Just feeling a bit lost on this one. From the first set I would recommend taking Signals & Systems and Random Signal Analysis. These courses will provide you with a good foundation in signal processing which is very important for embedded systems/software engineering.From the second set, I would recommend taking Embedded Systems Programming and Real-Time DSP Systems. These courses will give you a better understanding of operating systems, microcontrollers, device drivers, and real-time signal processing which are all essential concepts for embedded systems/software engineering. Additionally, Pattern Recognition/Radar Systems may be a good option as well, as it will give you an introduction to detecting and analyzing patterns in data.

What are computer engineering electives?

Computer engineering electives are courses that allow students to explore specific topics within the field of computer engineering. These courses often have more flexibility in terms of subject matter and are typically chosen by students based on their interests and career goals.

What are the benefits of taking computer engineering electives?

Taking computer engineering electives can provide students with a more well-rounded education, as they have the opportunity to explore different areas within the field. These courses can also help students develop specialized skills and knowledge that can be valuable in the job market.

How do I choose which computer engineering electives to take?

Choosing computer engineering electives can depend on your personal interests and career goals. It can also be helpful to research the course descriptions and talk to academic advisors or professors for guidance. Additionally, considering the skills and knowledge you want to gain from the electives can also aid in your decision-making process.

Can computer engineering electives count towards my degree requirements?

Yes, computer engineering electives typically count towards degree requirements as long as they are approved by your academic department and fit within your degree plan. However, it is always recommended to check with your academic advisor to ensure that the electives you are interested in will fulfill your degree requirements.

Are there any prerequisites for taking computer engineering electives?

This can vary depending on the specific elective course. Some courses may have prerequisites, such as certain introductory computer engineering courses, while others may not have any prerequisites. It is important to check the course descriptions and speak with your academic advisor to determine any necessary prerequisites for the electives you are interested in.