Is the Computer Engineering Program Comprehensive and Well-Balanced?

In summary, this program is complete, but some classes are required. This degree would get you into a tech job, but there are other subjects you should consider.
archaic
Hello, is this program "complete"? (In the sense that a math undergrad curriculum without calculus 2 wouldn't be, for example)
Year 1 :
1.PNG

Year 2 :
2.PNG

Year 3 :
3.PNG

Year 4 :
4.PNG

Major electives :
5.PNG

1565317955-6.png

http://www.qu.edu.qa/static_file/qu...nts/Course_Description/Course_Description.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
For each of the 4 years listed, are all of those classes required?

Also, I didn't see a class in Compilers listed (but I may have missed it). Back when I was in undergrad, a class in Compilers was required (or highly recommended) for CS. I took it as an elective in my EE work, and I found it to be one of my more interesting classes. It was also very helpful later in my career when dealing with strange compiler errors and problems in my programming tasks.

berkeman said:
For each of the 4 years listed, are all of those classes required?
Yes, each column is a semester.
berkeman said:
CS
This is computer engineering.

archaic said:
This is computer engineering.
Ah, I missed that. So a little less programming (but still Data Structures and Operating Systems), and a little more hardware focus?

berkeman said:
Ah, I missed that. So a little less programming (but still Data Structures and Operating Systems), and a little more hardware focus?
Well I am asking whether this is a well round off program xD

Can you say what kinds of jobs you would like to pursue with this degree? What kinds of work would you like to be doing a few years after graduation?

berkeman said:
What kinds of work would you like to be doing a few years after graduation?
After the B.Sc, I probably would like to pursue further studies (M.Sc), not sure though, can't say for now.
berkeman said:
Can you say what kinds of jobs you would like to pursue with this degree?
It's not about jobs. I know that his degree would get me into a tech job, software sided or hardware, that's what I am looking for.
I am just trying to get a "professional" opinion on this program compared to other CE programs.

Yep certainly looks like it. More low-level computing. Comp Arch, DSP etc. That's how I remember it.

This is something you should definitely be talking to a prof or guidance councilor at your uni. It is very difficult for anybody else to guide you on the total workload involved. I am presuming the numbers beside each course are the classroom or contact hours? It looks like it probably is an OK workload, but that will depend very much on the amount of homework profs typically assign, how many mid-term exams, how many extra projects, etc. and etc. Such things will be university specific. Even department specific.

One thing I noticed just casually glancing through. There is little outside of your specific area of study. It's a university, so take a look at that course catalog. Pay attention to the other technical subjects. And pay attention to the humanities. Don't automatically turn them down. But do talk to a prof about the workload. Don't add that history or philosophy class if it's going to mean you have to work 90 hour weeks. But it's likely your best ever chance to take such classes, so at least check it out.

Likes archaic

1. What is a computer engineering program?

A computer engineering program is a course of study that combines elements of both computer science and electrical engineering. It focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of computer systems and their components, such as hardware and software.

2. What skills will I learn in a computer engineering program?

In a computer engineering program, you will learn a variety of technical skills, including programming languages, circuit design, computer architecture, and software development. You will also develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are essential in the field of computer engineering.

3. Is a computer engineering program a good choice for me?

If you have a strong interest in both computer science and electrical engineering, a computer engineering program may be a good fit for you. It is also a good choice if you enjoy problem-solving and have a strong aptitude for math and science.

4. What career opportunities are available with a computer engineering degree?

A computer engineering degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including software engineer, hardware engineer, network engineer, systems analyst, and many more. With the rapid advancement of technology, the demand for computer engineers is expected to continue to grow in the future.

5. What are the differences between a computer engineering program and a computer science program?

A computer engineering program focuses on the design and development of computer hardware and software, while a computer science program focuses more on the theoretical and mathematical foundations of computing. Computer engineering also incorporates elements of electrical engineering, while computer science is more closely related to mathematics and logic.