Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Engineering Vs. EE?

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    I noticed a similar thread has been started already, but i really want to talk about this with anyone: It's urgent. I'll need all the help I can get.
    Is it better to pursue Computer Engineering (CE) or Electrical Engineering (EE)?
    I learnt in EE, u can do both computers and other electronics. But, what does it take to pursue EE as opposed to CE.
    I'm kinda leaning towards CE. But i learnt its not a very secure field; u could get out of job easily especially when the economy is bad.
    I could use a lot of help from both Electrical Engineers and Computer Engineers.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neither is inherently better or worse than the other. Both have broad job applicability. The two degrees overlap significantly at most schools; the cores of the degrees are the same. Generally, computer engineers take a few extra programming classes, while electrical engineers take a few extra power or fields classes.

You can probably declare either one to start with, and switch later on if you choose.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?