Computer Experts: Secure Your Wireless Network

• Thread starter msd213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, you can secure your wireless network by setting a password on your router, using MAC address security, or both.
msd213
I'm looking for all the computer experts out there.

I have a wireless network in my house; I have one desktop computer that is directly connected to the modem (I have a cable connection) and another desktop computer that receives the internet signals via a router. I also have a laptop that I occasionally connect to the internet to using the router. My network is unsecured and basically anybody who wants to get on can do so. I'm wondering how I can secure this network, specifically, how do I put a password on my wireless network?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Depending on the router, Linksys has a great service on their website that will lead you through it. You follow the steps and it asks you to download a small file that you take to each computer you want on the network. It is very easy and works well. That is...if you have a Linksys router.

It would be esier to help you if we knew what brand of router and your operating system.

Basically type the ip of your router in your browser and access its configuration page.

If you using windows, go to start-run and type "cmd"

if you get a black screen type "ipconfig" and it will spit out a lot of numbers

look for one that says "default gateway" it could look something like this "192.168.1.1"

Then write down this number, open your internet browser and in the address bar where you type in a website like www.physicsforums.com, clear everything and just type the default gateway you obtained including the dots. Press enter, and you should be asked for user and password.

try user: (leave blank)
password: admin

or user: admin
password: password

waht said:
Basically type the ip of your router in your browser and access its configuration page.

If you using windows, go to start-run and type "cmd"

if you get a black screen type "ipconfig" and it will spit out a lot of numbers

look for one that says "default gateway" it could look something like this "192.168.1.1"

Then write down this number, open your internet browser and in the address bar where you type in a website like www.physicsforums.com, clear everything and just type the default gateway you obtained including the dots. Press enter, and you should be asked for user and password.

try user: (leave blank)
password: admin

or user: admin
password: password

Don't forget to change these passwords once you set up the security for your router as well.

A better thing to do (in addition or instead, for that matter) is use MAC address security. Then, even if a random person "connects" to the wireless network, they will not be able to do anything because the router will not like their MAC address (Media Access Code--the unique number associated with each network port in a computer).

Those WEP passwords are pretty easy to break by hackers, so WEP passwords alone are not very good (though better than nothing--they'll likely keep a rube out).

Integral said:
It would be esier to help you if we knew what brand of router and your operating system.

Sorry for the long response time but this the first time I've been able to access this computer in weeks.

Sure. I have a Linksys router model WRT54G.

I looked on Linksys website for setting up a password but I couldn't find anything. I saw how to change the router password but I don't think I have a password in the first place.

Specifically, open Internet Explorer and type into the address bar: 192.168.0.1 or whatever the IP address of the wireless router is

Logon: (blank)
Password: admin

This should get you into the configuration screens for the router, from which things are fairly obvious.

harborsparrow said:
Specifically, open Internet Explorer and type into the address bar: 192.168.0.1 or whatever the IP address of the wireless router is

This should get you into the configuration screens for the router, from which things are fairly obvious.

Actually, my linksys wrt54g wants

logon: admin

harborsparrow said:

Okay, I was able to get on there and now I'm looking into this MAC filtering.

So I should probably enable MAC filtering (only letting those people I allow to connect) and disable SSID broadcast?

1. How can I secure my wireless network?

To secure your wireless network, you can follow these steps:

• Change your network's default name (SSID) to something unique
  • Create a strong password using a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters
  • Enable WPA2 (or higher) encryption
  • Disable remote management and guest access
  • Regularly update your router's firmware

2. Is WPA2 encryption enough to secure my wireless network?

WPA2 encryption is currently the strongest form of wireless security available. However, it is still important to regularly update your router's firmware and follow other security measures to further protect your network.

3. How do I know if someone is accessing my wireless network without my permission?

You can check your router's connected devices list to see if there are any unknown devices connected to your network. You can also enable MAC address filtering to only allow specific devices to connect.

4. Can I secure my wireless network from my mobile device?

Yes, most routers have a mobile app that allows you to change your network's settings and security options. However, it is recommended to use a computer for more advanced security configurations.

5. Are there any other security measures I should take to protect my wireless network?

In addition to the steps mentioned above, you can also consider setting up a virtual private network (VPN) for added security when accessing your network remotely. It is also important to regularly check for and install updates for all devices connected to your network to ensure they have the latest security patches.