Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Experts

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    I'm looking for all the computer experts out there.

I have a wireless network in my house; I have one desktop computer that is directly connected to the modem (I have a cable connection) and another desktop computer that receives the internet signals via a router. I also have a laptop that I occasionally connect to the internet to using the router. My network is unsecured and basically anybody who wants to get on can do so. I'm wondering how I can secure this network, specifically, how do I put a password on my wireless network?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Depending on the router, Linksys has a great service on their web site that will lead you through it. You follow the steps and it asks you to download a small file that you take to each computer you want on the network. It is very easy and works well. That is....if you have a Linksys router.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be esier to help you if we knew what brand of router and your operating system.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4
    Basically type the ip of your router in your browser and access its configuration page.

If you using windows, go to start-run and type "cmd"

if you get a black screen type "ipconfig" and it will spit out alot of numbers

look for one that says "default gateway" it could look something like this "192.168.1.1"

Then write down this number, open your internet browser and in the address bar where you type in a website like www.physicsforums.com, clear everything and just type the default gateway you obtained including the dots. Press enter, and you should be asked for user and password.

try user: (leave blank)
    password: admin

or user: admin
    password: password

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5
    Don't forget to change these passwords once you set up the security for your router as well.

7. Nov 10, 2009 #6

harborsparrow

Gold Member

A better thing to do (in addition or instead, for that matter) is use MAC address security. Then, even if a random person "connects" to the wireless network, they will not be able to do anything because the router will not like their MAC address (Media Access Code--the unique number associated with each network port in a computer).

Those WEP passwords are pretty easy to break by hackers, so WEP passwords alone are not very good (though better than nothing--they'll likely keep a rube out).

8. Nov 26, 2009 #7
    Sorry for the long response time but this the first time I've been able to access this computer in weeks.

Sure. I have a Linksys router model WRT54G.

I looked on Linksys website for setting up a password but I couldn't find anything. I saw how to change the router password but I don't think I have a password in the first place.

9. Nov 26, 2009 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Nov 27, 2009 #9

harborsparrow

Gold Member

Specifically, open Internet Explorer and type into the address bar: 192.168.0.1 or whatever the IP address of the wireless router is

Logon: (blank)
    Password: admin

This should get you into the configuration screens for the router, from which things are fairly obvious.

11. Nov 27, 2009 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, my linksys wrt54g wants

logon: admin
    Password: admin

12. Nov 27, 2009 #11
    Okay, I was able to get on there and now I'm looking into this MAC filtering.

So I should probably enable MAC filtering (only letting those people I allow to connect) and disable SSID broadcast?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook