Do Computer Hardware Engineers have Electrical Engineering degrees?

In summary, the occupation of Electrical Engineers and Computer Hardware Engineers have been separated. Computer Hardware Engineers specialize in making computer hardware and may hold degrees in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering. They study a variety of subjects including programming, logic design, and microcomputer design. Electrical Engineers focus on analog systems and may also take programming classes. While there is overlap between the two fields, they are two separate degrees with distinct areas of study.
Dagenais
So, I've heard that recently, the occupation of Electrical Engineers and Computer Hardware Engineers have been separated. Electrical Engineers that specialize in making computer hardware are called the latter.

I was just wondering if "Computer Hardware Engineers" still hold Electrical Engineering degrees, or something different? Do they study something else after?

Sorry for the spelling mistakes, my computer is really slowing down here and I didn't bother to check.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was just wondering if "Computer Hardware Engineers" still hold Electrical Engineering degrees, or something different? Do they study something else after?

Yes! They study.

A computer systems engineer is going to know:
* Programming (especially in C and asm)
* Programmable logic
* Gate delay's
* Operating systems
* Device driver code
* Physics of semiconductors
* Microcomputer design
* Logic design
* High speed digital design

Whereas, a ee would know stuff like:
* RF
* High power designs
* analog systems

Well let me try to clarify the separation between the two.

The two fields I believe you are talking about are Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering.

Computer Engineering does not only deal with computer hardware, but anything that is digital. Whereas an Electrical Engineer deals with analog systems. Anything with a microprocessor is usually in the realm of Computer Engineering. For example computers, cell phones, digital cameras, etc.

At my university, they are two separate degrees with much overlap.

Electrical Engineers still take a bunch of programming classes, though not as much as Computer Engineers do.

As I said before, there is much overlap between the two disciplines.

1. What is computer hardware engineering?

Computer hardware engineering is a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and testing of computer components such as processors, memory, and circuit boards. It also involves the integration of these components into computer systems.

2. What are the key responsibilities of a computer hardware engineer?

The key responsibilities of a computer hardware engineer include designing and testing computer components, analyzing and improving computer performance, collaborating with software engineers to ensure compatibility, and staying up-to-date with advancements in technology.

3. What skills are required to become a successful computer hardware engineer?

To become a successful computer hardware engineer, one must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a good understanding of computer systems and electronics. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other engineers and technicians.

4. What is the typical educational background for a computer hardware engineer?

Most computer hardware engineers have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or a related field. Some may also have a master's degree in these fields. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science for this career.

5. What are the job prospects for computer hardware engineers?

The job prospects for computer hardware engineers are expected to be favorable in the coming years, with a projected growth rate of 2% from 2019 to 2029. As technology continues to advance, there will be a demand for engineers to design and develop new computer components. Additionally, industries such as healthcare, transportation, and manufacturing will also require the expertise of computer hardware engineers for their systems and equipment.