Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Help

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    Hey guys, last night my computer was fine until a game froze but since it was about 2:00 AM i just did an emergency shut down and went to bed. Anyways today when i put my computer on it moved painlessly slow. When I try to use the internet it says not responding, almost none of my programs can load up and only after 5 tries i got the internet to work...but extremely slowly.

Just to get rid of the problem (and future reference) can anyone tell me how to dump hardrive and start over?

By the way im on my friends laptop right now :eek:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus

Which version of windows are you using?
  4. Jul 26, 2004 #3
    Windows XP home ed.
  5. Jul 26, 2004 #4
    It may not be a bad idea to scan for viruses.
  6. Jul 26, 2004 #5
    tried....nortons working about as good as everything else
  7. Jul 26, 2004 #6
    Have the virus definitions been updated?
  8. Jul 26, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus

Sounds like you corrupted some files on your partition. Just put the windows xp cd in the cdrom and boot from it. You'll eventually get to a screen that asks to to select the partion you want to install windows on. Delete the partition and create a new one. Then format the drive with NTFS. I would normally do it quick, but in this case I would go with normal version which does error checking. Let the installation finish and reinstall all your apps.
  9. Jul 26, 2004 #8
    Just make sure you back up everything.
  10. Jul 26, 2004 #9
    Thanks, both of you im on my way to do that now
  11. Jul 27, 2004 #10
    With XP I would try a "Restore" first. Just pick a restore point back before your computer went bad and try it. If it is corrupted files like dduardo suggested this might not help, but it's worth a shot. I've used it a couple of times with XP after a bad driver installation and it worked pretty good.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?