Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer languauge

1. Oct 16, 2006 #1

AK2

I am presently a doing a levels and i want to know which computer languauge i need to learn before finishing a level.I am presently wishing to fo for EE as a course in uni.
    Is it better i study it on my own or go to computer school.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

C and C++ are pretty fundamental, and used in many applications. As for self-study, that can work, but you will pick up more and pick it up faster if you are taking course work. Can you take a class in C and data structures where you are now?

4. Oct 16, 2006 #3

AK2

No. But i have recently bougth a CD on visual c++.

5. Oct 16, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Does the CD on C++ say "no previous programming experience required"? Hopefully it takes you through data structures and structured programming before spending too much time on OO (object oriented) concepts, namespaces, inheritance, etc.

6. Oct 17, 2006 #5
    As Berkeman said that C and C++ will be really helpful dont bother doing Visual C if you are coming into Electrical. Also try to do Java as most of the universities teach an introductory course. IF you can try to learn VHDL and VLSI which will be really helpful cuz you need them for sure. plus in your final year project you need to use GUI you need all of these including JAVA.

7. Oct 17, 2006 #6
    C/C++/Fortran/Matlab

8. Oct 17, 2006 #7
    Matlab is definitely needed specially when you start Power Engineering and Signals and then on you will always need, you are absolutely right neurocomp2003. thanks for pointing that out.

9. Oct 17, 2006 #8
    im am using java, and its going well for me :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?