1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer music

1. Jun 3, 2003 #1

jb

i don't know if this would be better under tech or even math...

for an end of the year calc project, me and some friends are trying to get a stephen hawking-sounding voice to rap a little about calculus. so far we got the voice part outputted to an mp3. it doesn't quite sound like him a la mc hawking, but it's close enough.

here's where we're having trouble: we're trying to get some background music in, like beats and such. is there a way to filter voices out of pre-existing music, so we can just swap voices? i found some software to create the actual music tracks, but that seems too hard. also, is there a way to merge two or more tracks (like one voice track and a music track) so the play at the same time? any outstanding software you'd recommend for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2003 #2
    Technically possible, but difficult unless you have a multitrack recording and mixer.

This is possible by either playing both tracks at the same time, or mixing the 2 tracks into 1.
    I don't have S/W to recommend at the moment, try searching google with keywords: ("audio" OR "sound" OR "music"), ("mixing" OR "mixer"), "software"

4. Jun 5, 2003 #3
    Strangely, such rap exists www.mchawking.com

5. Jun 5, 2003 #4
    Let's see. If you want to create the music, I'd suggest Fruity Loops. It's fairly simple. And for editing, Sound Forge is good.

6. Jun 5, 2003 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Any half decent sound editor will mix two tracks.

And for the Stephen hawking voice, look for a text to speach program. The voice is pretty standard I think. A friend of mine has a Mac G3 that sounds like him.

7. Jun 6, 2003 #6

jb

ok, right after i posted last, i got everything figured out. like i said before, i had the hawk voice figured out. i didn't have much luck with fruityloops and stuff like that. eventually i found some instrumental stuff ("What happened to that boy", by Birdman), threw it through a mixer, and out came an incredible track.

It was officially "released" today, about 3 hours ago, eventually i'll get a download set up. if you dig calculus, stevo hawking, and/or computer generated rap you should take a listen.

short preview:
    you say all you need is remedial mathematics
    well dats nuthin compared to my mad calc antics
    yo skillz stop after two plus one and two plus two
    i bust caps in arithmatic, foo

8. Jan 10, 2004 #7
    I know this thread is really old, but I was hoping jb could tell me what software he used to create the voice & where he got it, because I want to do a couple songs like that on my album I'm getting ready to release.

btw, if you're interested, my site is http://e.1asphost.com/sharkdarapper/Index.htm

you will probably need to install winamp to play the audio clips (they're .ogg files). The microphone from the audio for performance was just a cheap one on a videocamera, so the sound quality won't be great...but it's worth a listen, anyways.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

9. Jan 13, 2004 #8

jb

wow... this is old

i used textaloud mp3 for the voice and acoustica (i think) to mix it with the music.

i don't have links for either, but try download.com

10. Jan 13, 2004 #9
    thanks...I'll check it out. So it actually ended up sounding decently like rap? (well, in the MC Hawking sorta way) :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?