Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer music

1. Jun 3, 2003 #1

jb

i don't know if this would be better under tech or even math...

for an end of the year calc project, me and some friends are trying to get a stephen hawking-sounding voice to rap a little about calculus. so far we got the voice part outputted to an mp3. it doesn't quite sound like him a la mc hawking, but it's close enough.

here's where we're having trouble: we're trying to get some background music in, like beats and such. is there a way to filter voices out of pre-existing music, so we can just swap voices? i found some software to create the actual music tracks, but that seems too hard. also, is there a way to merge two or more tracks (like one voice track and a music track) so the play at the same time? any outstanding software you'd recommend for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2003 #2
    Technically possible, but difficult unless you have a multitrack recording and mixer.

This is possible by either playing both tracks at the same time, or mixing the 2 tracks into 1.
    I don't have S/W to recommend at the moment, try searching google with keywords: ("audio" OR "sound" OR "music"), ("mixing" OR "mixer"), "software"

4. Jun 5, 2003 #3
    Strangely, such rap exists www.mchawking.com

5. Jun 5, 2003 #4
    Let's see. If you want to create the music, I'd suggest Fruity Loops. It's fairly simple. And for editing, Sound Forge is good.

6. Jun 5, 2003 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Any half decent sound editor will mix two tracks.

And for the Stephen hawking voice, look for a text to speach program. The voice is pretty standard I think. A friend of mine has a Mac G3 that sounds like him.

7. Jun 6, 2003 #6

jb

ok, right after i posted last, i got everything figured out. like i said before, i had the hawk voice figured out. i didn't have much luck with fruityloops and stuff like that. eventually i found some instrumental stuff ("What happened to that boy", by Birdman), threw it through a mixer, and out came an incredible track.

It was officially "released" today, about 3 hours ago, eventually i'll get a download set up. if you dig calculus, stevo hawking, and/or computer generated rap you should take a listen.

short preview:
    you say all you need is remedial mathematics
    well dats nuthin compared to my mad calc antics
    yo skillz stop after two plus one and two plus two
    i bust caps in arithmatic, foo

8. Jan 10, 2004 #7
    I know this thread is really old, but I was hoping jb could tell me what software he used to create the voice & where he got it, because I want to do a couple songs like that on my album I'm getting ready to release.

btw, if you're interested, my site is http://e.1asphost.com/sharkdarapper/Index.htm

you will probably need to install winamp to play the audio clips (they're .ogg files). The microphone from the audio for performance was just a cheap one on a videocamera, so the sound quality won't be great...but it's worth a listen, anyways.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

9. Jan 13, 2004 #8

jb

wow... this is old

i used textaloud mp3 for the voice and acoustica (i think) to mix it with the music.

i don't have links for either, but try download.com

10. Jan 13, 2004 #9
    thanks...I'll check it out. So it actually ended up sounding decently like rap? (well, in the MC Hawking sorta way) :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?