Computer networks Data communication assignment help please

In summary: It is calculated by dividing the transmission delay by the sum of the transmission delay and the propagation time. In the given table, the transmission delay and propagation time for each link are provided, so you can use the formula to calculate the utilization.In summary, the table is used to calculate the throughput of a network by considering link bandwidth, propagation delay, transmission delay, propagation time, RTT, and utilization. I hope this helps you in completing your assignment. Let me know if you have any further questions.
ashli

Homework Statement

I have an assignment for Data communication module but the assignment is based on networking.
we were given two tables, which we have to fill in. table no -1 is https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mo4faeuau9mw6m/Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 18.54.09.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

table no 2 we have to complete after running network simulation and I figured it out, no problem with that. https://www.dropbox.com/s/oefbiojnjwndlsy/table 2.png

I need help to complete my table 1, I need some notes on how the calculation is done

help please, the lectures and tutorials we get is based on data communication but for assignment we got this. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I understand that you are looking for help with completing table 1 for your data communication assignment. I am happy to assist you in understanding the calculations required for this task.

To begin, it is important to understand the purpose of the table and what information it is meant to convey. The table is used to calculate the throughput of a network, which is the amount of data that can be transmitted over a network in a given amount of time. This is an important measure of network performance and efficiency.

Now, let's look at the different columns in the table and how to fill them in.

1. Link Bandwidth: This refers to the maximum data rate that can be transmitted over a link. It is usually measured in bits per second (bps). In the given table, the link bandwidth for each link is already provided.

2. Propagation Delay: This is the time it takes for a signal to travel from one end of the link to the other. It is determined by the distance between the two ends and the speed of the signal, which is usually the speed of light. The formula for calculating propagation delay is: Propagation Delay = Distance / Speed of light. In the given table, the distance for each link is provided, and the speed of light can be assumed to be 3 x 10^8 meters per second.

3. Transmission Delay: This is the time it takes for a packet of data to be transmitted over the link. It is determined by the size of the packet and the link bandwidth. The formula for calculating transmission delay is: Transmission Delay = Packet size / Link bandwidth. In the given table, the packet size for each link is provided.

4. Propagation Time: This is the time it takes for a packet to travel from one end of the link to the other. It is determined by adding the propagation delay and transmission delay. In the given table, the propagation delay and transmission delay for each link are already provided, so you can simply add them together to get the propagation time.

5. Round Trip Time (RTT): This is the time it takes for a packet to travel from one end of the network to the other and back. It is determined by adding the propagation time for each link in the network. In the given table, the propagation time for each link is provided, so you can simply add them together to get the RTT.

6. Utilization: This refers to the percentage of

1. What is a computer network?

A computer network is a group of interconnected devices that are able to communicate and share resources with each other. This can include computers, servers, routers, and other devices.

2. What is data communication?

Data communication is the exchange of information between two or more devices. It involves sending and receiving data through a network or communication channel.

3. What are the different types of computer networks?

There are several types of computer networks, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), metropolitan area networks (MANs), and wireless networks. Each type has its own characteristics and is used for different purposes.

4. How do computer networks work?

Computer networks work by using protocols, or rules, to govern how devices communicate with each other. These protocols define how data is transmitted, received, and interpreted by devices on the network.

5. How can I get help with my computer networks data communication assignment?

You can get help with your computer networks data communication assignment by seeking assistance from your instructor, classmates, or a tutor. You can also find helpful resources online, such as tutorials, forums, and study guides.