Can I Check My Computer's Power Consumption Before Adding a Fan?

In summary, it is not possible to check somewhere (BIOS, etc) the total amount of power used by the computer.
Dragonfall
Is it possible to check somewhere (BIOS, etc) the total amount of power used by the computer? I have a 430W PSU and I want to add another fan, and I'm not sure I want to risk overloading it.

Technology news on Phys.org
Few systems report this. If you have a UPS that your system is plugged into, this may have a utility that reports the amount of power being input into your system. It doesn't show how much power is being output by the power supply though, only what it is intaking.

its not really that important how many Watts you got, its more important how the amps are distributed on the diffrent voltage outputs. I *think* most fans use the 12V line. So the question is how many amps you got on that line (harddisk, optical drives etc. uses 12V). Useally though you would be quite save putting in another fan.

Triss is correct, it's the draw on the 12 volt line. Some newer power supplies have multiple taps, effectively separate outputs on the separate cables. Fans don't draw a lot of amps, so one more should be OK.

Personally, in addition to using fans to cool off my higher end PC's, I leave the left side door off. The end result is that the fans (especially the video card fan) run slower and the system is overall quieter with the left side door off and slower running fans. If you have a high end Intel CPU, it required that the inside of the case be not much hotter than room temperature (40 degrees Centrigrade), and I figured the easiest way to accomplish this was to open up the case. The other option is to use a case with a direct pipe to the CPU, but then there's still an issue with the video card, so I now use open cases.

Last edited:
Open cases work, but dust accumulates much faster with them.

Fans draw virtually nothing in the way of power - no more than 10w. So don't worry about it.

What is computer power consumption?

Computer power consumption is the amount of electrical energy that a computer uses while in operation. It is measured in watts and can vary depending on the components and usage of the computer.

Why is computer power consumption important?

Computer power consumption is important for several reasons. Firstly, it affects the cost of electricity for the user. Additionally, it impacts the environment as higher power consumption means more energy usage and carbon emissions. Lastly, it can also affect the performance and lifespan of the computer.

What factors affect computer power consumption?

There are several factors that can affect computer power consumption. These include the type and number of components such as the processor, graphics card, and hard drive, as well as the usage of the computer, such as gaming or browsing the internet.

Can computer power consumption be reduced?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce computer power consumption. These include using energy-saving settings, turning off or putting the computer to sleep when not in use, using more energy-efficient components, and regularly cleaning and maintaining the computer to improve its efficiency.

How does computer power consumption impact the environment?

Computer power consumption contributes to carbon emissions, which can have a negative impact on the environment. By reducing power consumption, we can help to reduce our carbon footprint and mitigate the effects of climate change.