Help Needed: What Power Supply Should I Buy?

In summary, the power supply you sent is not high enough quality for a modern computer. You would be better off getting a 500W power supply.
Robot3
Hello.
Excuse my poor Englishe.
My power suply stop working, and now i use from neiborgh old suply, but this is too low for all component on my computer.
So will you tell me haw strong pover suply i need to use?
My computer is old, and use ATX suply.
I have, matherboard, 3Gb rams, cameras, microphone, one dvd rw disc, now i use one hard 80Gb, but i have twoo moor, one from 80 Gb too, and one of 250Gb, which i can use, because i don't have enough power in suply. :S
Their is modem too, and rest of standard PC hardver.
I plan to buy new one, but don't know hav strong i need.

Computer science news on Phys.org

Given what you have listed, it doesn't look like you need too much power. I would suggest getting a 500W power supply.

My personal preference is Corsair branded power supplies.

get this one or something in a similar range.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanx on advice, this is old computer, and don hawe too much need for power.

The good part about this power supply is that it is a 20+4 pin so it will fit several different motherboards. If you do get a new computer in the future, you can always remove this power supply and put it in the new one and save a little bit.

Given that you don't have a video card, you can actually use a smaller supply (maybe 400-450W) but then it will be harder to reuse (newer computers generally have a higher requirement) or sell second hand. 500W is generally a good middle ground.

I have video card, one old Radeon. But this i put within rest of pc hardver, so i don't nead to write all component. My motherboard use 20 pin for it self, and 4 pin for CPU, because it use ATX suply. But this suply you send link is little to expend for me. In my Coutri is crises, and i don't work. :S
Do you know where to find suply which are not so expensive?

Here's another power supply option for you
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

The reason i suggested the corsair is because they make high quality power supplies. The power supply is the most important and valuable component on your system because it provides the power. Any large fluctuations in power can damage components that are more expensive like your CPU or your motherboard.
There is a risk involved with taking cheaper power supplies and that's why I didn't suggest this one first.

It's not as good as the corsair but it is better than the generic ones. If I was you, I wouldn't go any cheaper than this because the quality of the device is questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is moor aceptable suply. And it is with 500 W.
I know this about fluctuation, and damaging component. But if you don't have mony, you cand buy best, and need to find moor aceptable even if it have greater risk of making damage. Now i onlie need to find this suply in my country. :S And this is pain.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a power supply?

When choosing a power supply, there are several factors to consider including the wattage, efficiency, modular design, and brand reputation. It is important to choose a power supply that can provide enough power for your components and has a high efficiency rating to minimize energy waste. Additionally, a modular design allows for easier cable management and a reputable brand can ensure quality and reliability.

2. How do I know what wattage power supply I need?

The wattage of a power supply is determined by the components in your system. You can calculate the wattage by adding up the power requirements of each component, such as the CPU, GPU, and any additional drives or peripherals. It is recommended to choose a power supply with a wattage that is slightly higher than your calculated total to ensure stability and room for future upgrades.

3. What is the difference between a non-modular and modular power supply?

A non-modular power supply has all of its cables permanently attached, while a modular power supply allows you to detach and use only the cables you need. This can make cable management easier and reduce clutter in your system. However, modular power supplies tend to be more expensive.

4. Is it important to consider the efficiency rating of a power supply?

Yes, the efficiency rating of a power supply is important as it determines how much energy is wasted during the conversion process. A higher efficiency rating means less energy is wasted and can save you money on your electricity bill in the long run. Look for power supplies with an 80 Plus rating or higher for the best efficiency.

5. Are there any safety considerations when choosing a power supply?

Yes, it is important to choose a power supply that has safety certifications such as UL, CSA, or CE. These certifications ensure that the power supply has undergone testing and meets safety standards to protect your components and prevent any potential hazards.