Proving Free Will & Entity Existence: Serious Responses Only

In summary: Seth Lloyd is one of the fanatics of the Computer universe concept, and in March 2006 a book by him appeared in the marketI doubt that. More likely ?s and ~s.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can you prove that you are not a computer program, or a part of a prorgramed existence, how can you prove you have (free will)? can you prove that the penquin is an (entity) rather than a computer virus ?
can you show that a flesh and blood (creature) wrote this is false.
Only serious/ semi serious responses will be given any truck.

Computer science news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Can you prove that you are not a computer program, or a part of a prorgramed existence
Maybe a very complicated and abstracted painting which can only be explained by sense of integration of images in human mind will work.

what constituency proof for this question?

Anttech said:
what constituency proof for this question?

May be you could show the impossibility/possibility of a computer program to respond correctly to the question.

It's pretty simple, Woolie. No computer could have the imagination necessary to come up with the likes of you. :tongue:

Danger said:
It's pretty simple, Woolie. No computer could have the imagination necessary to come up with the likes of you. :tongue:

But do computers need imagination? i guess my existence could be modeled with a series of 1s and 0s, but yours would have to be modeled on (virtual)
1s and 0s :tongue2:

mine would be on 1's and 0's with the ocational 2

Try proving that you are. Presenting some data that is in your favour could be nice before I attack the situation.

Ok , i have just found out that tom and jerry are not real characters, but with only the film evidence how can i prove/disprove either way?

As you have it stated, there is no such proof. Crudely speaking, there is no way to be sure that what we experience is real - thus there is no way to prove that *anything* is real.

its a proven fact that we are basicaly made up of 1's 2's 3's and 4's (IE DNA bases)

so sory but it was ment as a JOKE

wolram said:
i guess my existence could be modeled with a series of 1s and 0s
I doubt that. More likely ?s and ~s.

star.torturer said:
its a proven fact that we are basicaly made up of 1's 2's 3's and 4's (IE DNA bases)

so sory but it was ment as a JOKE

Well this is a semi/serious thread sir/ess, no jokes allowed :tongue2:

Danger said:
I doubt that. More likely ?s and ~s.

Only things i can understand will be permited in this thread, i have put you with worm holes, Waaay out :biggrin:

wolram said:
Can you prove that you are not a computer program,
I can see my hands. You, on the other hand, exist only on my computer screen...

In fact, the only person in here that I am absolutely certain is real is Moonbear...
or a part of a prorgramed existence, how can you prove you have (free will)?
Irrelevant question. If you have freewill, you damn well better act like it. If you don't have freewill, it doesn't matter if you act like it or if you don't. And since you don't know, you damn well better act like you do.
can you prove that the penquin is an (entity) rather than a computer virus ?
The penguin isn't a virus, it is a bot.
That isn't a sentence, so, uh, no?
How can I (or anyone else) be serious if I don't exist? I can only be programmed to look serious.

Typical programed response, ok Russ you can return to the collective now.

:rofl:

Somebodies been watching too much of the Matrix methinks :tongue:

In a computer program, do you have any idea how to create a notion of existence in any piece of the code?

heartless said:
In a computer program, do you have any idea how to create a notion of existence in any piece of the code?

I do not even want to go down the philisophical road and try to define existence, that is way over my head.

wolram said:
Can you prove that you are not a computer program, or a part of a prorgramed existence, how can you prove you have (free will)? can you prove that the penquin is an (entity) rather than a computer virus ?

if we are inside a giant PC, then there must be some kind of circuitry conducting orders in and out of the Universe. i mean, cables connected to your brain, and all. In truth, this circuitry must be very thin, and difficult to discover.

Seth Lloyd is one of the fanatics of the Computer universe concept, and in March 2006 a book by him appeared in the market

Programming the Universe: A Quantum Computer Scientist Takes On the Cosmos

i mean, cables connected to your brain, and all. In truth, this circuitry must be very thin, and difficult to discover.
or, like in the matrix, they just programed them not to apear in the "avatars"

I've just read this recent interview with S. Lloyd, who assigns great weight to the concept of information:

"My daughter Zoey says, "No, Daddy, everything is made of atoms, except for light." So I tell her, "Yes, Zoey, but those atoms are also information""

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.03/play.html?pg=4

I thing one overbaring point is that humans can be programmers but programs can't be humanners

I like this bit.

Would it be fair to say the universe is a mind?
You could use that metaphor. And if you did, then you and I and my cat are its thoughts. But the vast majority of the universe's thinking is about humble vibrations and collisions of atoms.

1. What is the definition of free will?

The concept of free will refers to the ability of an individual to make choices and decisions without being influenced or determined by external factors. It is the belief that individuals have control over their actions and can exercise their own agency.

2. How can free will be proven?

Proving the existence of free will is a complex and ongoing philosophical debate. It is difficult to provide concrete evidence, as it involves understanding the nature of consciousness and the idea of causality. Some argue that free will can be proven through introspection and personal experiences, while others believe it is a matter of faith or belief.

3. What is the role of science in proving free will?

Science plays a crucial role in understanding the mechanisms of decision-making and behavior. Through neuroscience and psychological studies, scientists can observe brain activity and patterns that may suggest the existence of free will. However, science alone cannot prove or disprove the concept of free will, as it is a philosophical and ethical question.

4. How does the concept of entity existence relate to free will?

The concept of entity existence refers to the existence of a conscious being or individual. It is closely related to free will, as the ability to make choices and decisions is often seen as a defining characteristic of being an entity. However, the existence of entities, such as humans, does not necessarily prove the existence of free will.

5. Can free will and entity existence be proven through scientific experiments?

While scientific experiments can provide insights and evidence, they cannot definitively prove or disprove the existence of free will and entities. These concepts are deeply rooted in philosophy and cannot be fully understood or measured through scientific methods alone. It requires a combination of scientific research and philosophical inquiry to gain a better understanding of these complex concepts.