1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Sales

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Between 1985 and 1995 the number of computers in thousands sold in canada is estimated by c(t) = 0.92(t^3 + 8t^2 + 40t +400)
    In what year did home computers sale reach 1.5 million?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I have to isolate the t to obtain time. So far this is what I have gotten up to

1230.43 = t^3 + 8^2 + 40t
    Here is where I am stuck. Would I have to factor out a t in order to move on to th next step?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

There are formulas to find the roots of any third degree polynomial. However, I assume that you did not cover those formulas in class. In exercises where you are not allowed to use a calculator, you can 'guess' one of the roots and then use something like synthetic division to find the remaining quadratic polynomial. In this case however, this seems quite impossible so I would use a calculator. Note too that you wrote 8^2 instead of 8t^2.

4. Sep 25, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The second term on the right should be 8t2. I'm assuming, but didn't verify, that the 1230.43 number has the 400 term already folded in.

Although there is a technique for solving third-degree polynomials, it's not something I have committed to memory, and it's very complicated. One approach would be to graph the equation C = t3 + 8t2 + 40t, and find the point at which the C value is at or close to 1230.43, then read off the t value at that point.

Another approach is to start with an education guess, say t = 10, and see what C value you get, adjusting t up or down in successive calculations.

5. Sep 25, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Factoring is only useful for the case where the othe side of the equation is zero.

By the way, what is the definition of the variable, t ?

6. Sep 25, 2016 #5
    Sorry about that I meant 8t^2. The book uses a graphing calculator however we were meant to solve it algebraically:/

7. Sep 25, 2016 #6
    T is for time.

8. Sep 25, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The exact solution is very complicated to get. Typically in such a problem, we unashamedly employ numerical methods, such as graphical analysis, resorting to a spreadsheet or computer algebra system, or using a decent scientific calculator.

For an exact method, see, eg.,
    http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. Sep 25, 2016 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, time. But how is that time measured?
    For the year 1985 is t = 1985 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted