Which Programming Language is Best for a Computer Science Course?

In summary, the conversation is about choosing between C++ and Java for a computer science course. The recommendation is to learn Java since the AP Computer Science Exam is based on it. However, the person giving the advice prefers learning C++. Another person mentions that for mechanical engineering, specialized tools may be used instead of C++ or Java. There is also a brief discussion about the origins of C++ and its potential impact on DOS.
SDutra
I'm thinking of taking a computer science course this year at school. In order to take it, I need to take either C++ or Java as a co-requisite. Which one would help out with the ap computer science course the most? Also I'm pretty sure that the computer science course would help me out in college (planning on mechanical engineering). Would it help? Thanks for the help. Sorry for the spelling and sorry if this is in the wrong forum :redface:

Oh and also can someone describe the differences between C++ and Java and the basics of what computer science will be about.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The AP Computer Science Exam is based on Java, therefore it would be more benificial to learn Java.

In my personal opinion, and maybe I'm old school, but I prefer learning C++. Pointers and memory management are a very imporant part of truly understanding programming.

If you going to be doing ME I doubt you'll be doing a whole lot of programming in either java or c++. More likely you'll used specialized tools.

I know C is from Unix, so wouldn't C++ be for Unix as well? I know you can use it but I have heard stories of it ruining your DOS. Ouch.

And, SDutra, I am in Comp Sci and were studying Java, with just a hint of C.

What is computer science?

Computer science is a field of study that focuses on the theory, design, development, and application of computers and computer systems. It involves the study of algorithms, programming languages, data structures, and more.

What can I learn in a computer science course?

In a computer science course, you can learn a variety of topics including programming languages, data structures and algorithms, computer architecture, software engineering, artificial intelligence, and more. You will also gain practical skills such as coding, problem-solving, and critical thinking.

Do I need prior knowledge or experience in coding to take a computer science course?

No, most computer science courses do not require prior knowledge or experience in coding. However, having basic math and logic skills can be beneficial. Some courses may have prerequisites, so it's important to check the course requirements before enrolling.

What career opportunities are available for computer science graduates?

Computer science graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and more. Some common job titles for computer science graduates include software developer, data scientist, computer systems analyst, and cybersecurity analyst.

Is computer science a difficult course?

Computer science can be a challenging course, but it ultimately depends on your interest, dedication, and effort. It requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. With proper study habits and practice, anyone can succeed in a computer science course.