Is the Sager NP8130 a suitable laptop for engineering classes?

In summary, the person is thanking the forum members for their time and is asking if their Sager NP8130 gaming laptop is suitable for their engineering classes. The responder states that it should be sufficient for undergraduate level work and that most universities have computer labs available. They also mention that some software may need to be purchased for personal use, but it shouldn't be too expensive. The person expresses excitement for their major and mentions a link to a powerful computer that will be required for engineering students.
SkubaStew
Hello this is my first post on this forum so I would like to thank you guys for any time you give me. I just got a laptop Sager NP8130 (its a heavy gaming laptop) for college and was wondering if it is a good choice for my engineering classes. Do colleges require you to do programming on your own laptop? thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
It should work fine. In most cases, colleges will have computer labs where you can do work, but I've always found it convenient to be able to use my own computer for programming/simulation rather than having to go to the computer lab.

That looks like it will be more than enough to handle anything you might do at an Undergrad level. Most Universities will provide some sort of a computer lab for you to do any programming and computations on, but it doesn't hurt to have a laptop of your own. A few friends of mine have run fairly complex simulations on their own laptops and they were weaker than the ones you have. (The two simulations I remember are: Rocket simulation launching from Earth to mars; and the Lorenz attractor.)

The only thing you might have to worry about is actually getting whatever software they might ask you to use; it will be free to use on their provided computers but if you want it on your own laptop you'll have to get it yourself (or if you run Linux then no worries). I don't expect them to think everyone will be running Linux though.

oh well if its just cost of buying software for my own computer then that's not to big of deal becasue I saved most of my working money for college anyways. thanks for the help and I am really excited about my major! can not wait to start my classes!

SkubaStew said:
...was wondering if it is a good choice for my engineering classes.

Haven't you heard? All Undergraduate engineering students will be required to have one of these at home to do homework:

http://www.nersc.gov/systems/carver-ibm-idataplex/

"...Carver contains 800 Intel Nehalem quad-core processors, or 3,200 cores..."

Attachments

• carver-s.jpg
    carver-s.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 409
Last edited by a moderator:

What is Computer Science Engineering?

Computer Science Engineering is a field of study that combines principles of computer science and engineering to design, develop, and maintain computer systems. It involves the application of both theoretical and practical knowledge to create efficient and innovative solutions to complex problems.

What are the career options for someone with a degree in Computer Science Engineering?

There are a variety of career options for someone with a degree in Computer Science Engineering. Some common job titles include software engineer, computer systems analyst, web developer, data scientist, and network architect. Graduates can also work in industries such as finance, healthcare, and technology consulting.

What skills are important for someone studying Computer Science Engineering?

Some important skills for someone studying Computer Science Engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, programming, data analysis, and communication. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for learning new technologies.

What is the difference between Computer Science Engineering and Computer Engineering?

While both fields involve the study of computer systems, Computer Science Engineering focuses more on the software aspect, including programming languages, algorithms, and data structures. Computer Engineering, on the other hand, emphasizes the hardware aspect, including computer architecture, digital electronics, and embedded systems.

Is a degree in Computer Science Engineering necessary for a career in the tech industry?

While a degree in Computer Science Engineering can provide a strong foundation for a career in the tech industry, it is not always necessary. Many successful professionals in the tech industry have backgrounds in other fields such as mathematics, physics, or even self-taught programming skills. However, having a degree in Computer Science Engineering can provide a competitive edge and open up a wider range of job opportunities.