1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Science/Engineering

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    I have a chance to take either CS, Computer Engineering, Physics, or any other engineering major offered by UCSD.

What do you think would be the better choice for someone interested in AI/software developer?

I think CS, but I am able to take any CSE major and it's "harder" (more pre-reqs) to get into the engineering majors, so I figure: why not go with one of them?

Any thoughts.

P.S. I have on idea what it's like in the job market for CSE majors. I just love coding, problem solving, and creating innovated projects.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2
    If you want to be a software developer then computer science or computer engineering would both adequately prepare you. Choose whichever interests you most. Roughly speaking, computer engineering is half computer science and half electrical engineering.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    I would choose CS personally, but your choice!

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4
    Sounds good. The extra math, like differential equations, and extra physics, like E &M/waves and optics, will probably help if I get into AI design/algorithms. Thanks again!

6. Nov 11, 2015 #5
    Comp E don't always take optics and EM fields courses so best to check the schools degree plan to make sure they're included.

7. Nov 11, 2015 #6

It's a bit of a long story, but I need to take all those classes regardless if I go CS or engineering.

8. Nov 15, 2015 #7
    AI is pretty much a CS domain. Software development is either CS or Computer Engineering. Not sure why you would even consider physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook