Which Engineering Major is Best for AI and Software Development?

• Thread starter Fancypen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, if you are interested in AI/software development, it would be best to pursue either a computer science or computer engineering major at UCSD. While both majors will adequately prepare you, computer engineering also includes electrical engineering courses. It is important to check the degree plan to ensure that the necessary courses for AI design and algorithms are included. Physics may not be necessary for this career path. Ultimately, it is up to your personal interests and strengths to choose between CS and computer engineering.
Fancypen
I have a chance to take either CS, Computer Engineering, Physics, or any other engineering major offered by UCSD.

What do you think would be the better choice for someone interested in AI/software developer?

I think CS, but I am able to take any CSE major and it's "harder" (more pre-reqs) to get into the engineering majors, so I figure: why not go with one of them?

Any thoughts.

P.S. I have on idea what it's like in the job market for CSE majors. I just love coding, problem solving, and creating innovated projects.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to be a software developer then computer science or computer engineering would both adequately prepare you. Choose whichever interests you most. Roughly speaking, computer engineering is half computer science and half electrical engineering.

I would choose CS personally, but your choice!

Sounds good. The extra math, like differential equations, and extra physics, like E &M/waves and optics, will probably help if I get into AI design/algorithms. Thanks again!

Comp E don't always take optics and EM fields courses so best to check the schools degree plan to make sure they're included.

snowman_ said:
Comp E don't always take optics and EM fields courses so best to check the schools degree plan to make sure they're included.
It's a bit of a long story, but I need to take all those classes regardless if I go CS or engineering.

Fancypen said:
What do you think would be the better choice for someone interested in AI/software developer?

AI is pretty much a CS domain. Software development is either CS or Computer Engineering. Not sure why you would even consider physics.

1. What is Computer Science/Engineering?

Computer Science/Engineering is a field of study that involves the theory, design, development, and application of computers and computer systems. It combines elements of mathematics, engineering, and technology to create solutions for a wide range of problems.

2. What are the main areas of focus in Computer Science/Engineering?

The main areas of focus in Computer Science/Engineering include computer hardware and software, programming languages, data structures, algorithms, artificial intelligence, computer networks, and human-computer interaction. There are also specialized areas such as cybersecurity, data science, and computer graphics.

3. What are the career opportunities in Computer Science/Engineering?

There are many career opportunities in Computer Science/Engineering, including software engineer, computer systems analyst, database administrator, network architect, web developer, and data scientist. The demand for skilled professionals in this field is constantly growing, making it a lucrative career choice.

4. What skills are required to succeed in Computer Science/Engineering?

To succeed in Computer Science/Engineering, one needs to have strong problem-solving skills, logical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to think critically. It is also important to have a solid understanding of mathematical concepts, as well as programming languages and software development methodologies.

5. How does Computer Science/Engineering impact our daily lives?

Computer Science/Engineering has a significant impact on our daily lives. It has revolutionized the way we communicate, work, and access information. It has also made our lives more convenient through the development of various technologies such as smartphones, search engines, and social media platforms. Additionally, Computer Science/Engineering has contributed to advancements in healthcare, transportation, and many other industries.