1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Science help

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1
    Hello, for the academic year of 2010- 2011, I was accepted to computer science but lately my focus is towards engineering. I'm thinking of switching right away to the department of engineering, but was asking for advice. Do you believe that I should stay for a semester and see how it is, or just take courses and switch majors.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2010 #2
    It's a little unclear from your post, but as I understand it you are in high school and are just going off to college.

Keep in mind that for the first semester or year of college, engineering majors and CS majors usually take many of the same classes (usually chemistry, physics, calculus, and programming). So unless your school does things very differently, it wouldn't be that hard to switch to engineering after a semester or a year (unless there's a lot of red tape involved with switching majors at your school).

So I guess my advice would be to stick to CS for now and see how you like it. Taking a few extra CS courses won't hurt you if you switch to engineering, anyway.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #3
    I would look into this -- get a copy of the student handbook / course catalog for your university (often you can find these online). Some programs ARE very different. For example, at my institution, calculus-based physics is different for scientists/CS majors (a 2-semester sequence), than for engineers (who have a year-long "Engineering Fundamentals" experience before taking two semesters of calc-based physics -- EM and Waves/Optics/Modern). Also at some schools, a drafting or CAD class might be standard for engineering students in their first year, and limit what they can take. You DO need to look into differences. It also might be an easy switch... or it might not. Some schools limit their admissions to certain programs.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #4
    Keep in mind that the first year computer programming course is a REALLY handy thing to have under your belt for a lot of things, whether you do engineering, physics, or many other things (even just for your amusement).

It would also help if you were a bit more specific with your question. What about engineering do you find interesting? Is whatever you're looking for unavailable to you if you did a CS major?

6. Aug 3, 2010 #5
    Another thing, are you talking about graduate or undergraduate program? I wasn't aware that schools accepted you for a particular program if you're an undergraduate (at least in the U.S.).

7. Aug 3, 2010 #6
    In Canada, you have to apply through the university and tell them what program you would like to pick , and they pick you and you must take specific requistes towards your undergraduate degree ( in computer science). I think I'll see how 1st semester is, engineering is an interesting field I like problem solving, and as a youth I took many things apart and put them back together. Most importantly , the field I believe would be most fufulling for me is mechanical engineering. Thank you all for contributing your thoughts, thus I've decided to just take 1st semester , I may very well like it as I love mathematics more then science(s).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook