1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Science M.S

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    Is it ok to get a B.S degree in Applied Mathematics and then a M.S in Computer Science?

You might ask, why not a B.S in CS and then M.S in CS .

the answer to this is,, i am already a senior in Applied math and since several courses in CS were required for my degree , ( i.e : Computer programmin I , II , Fundamentals of computer science, Computer organization and design, Data Structures, Operating systems )

i took these courses in my electives, half were electives , half were required.

THe problem is that i found CS very interesting, and lost interest in pursuing more advanced math courses.

The only bad thing is that since i was not a CS major in the beginning i fear i might have to take some undergraduate courses after graduations cause i cannot take all CS courses and do my math courses.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2
    I guess it might matter on the classes that are more programming-intensive than some of the more math-intensive courses, since you're an applied math major. I don't know from personal experience, but I have talked to grad students who have had to take some undergrad courses in things like Automata & Linguistics (I don't know what you would call it at your school) so they could take computational theory. It seems like courses like those were more of a challenge for those who came from an engineering background, however.

4. Dec 26, 2008 #3

harborsparrow

Gold Member

If you are a good student, I believe it should be pretty easy for you to make up any missing topics by self study. Or you could go for a program specially designed to accomodate, such as MCIT at Upenn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?