1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer science minor - yes or no?

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    I'm planning for the fall semester in which I'll start taking classes that'll count for a CS minor. The thing is, I'm not sure if I need it or not. I'm an Electrical Engineer. I heard people tell me to take more programming classes than the usual EE program the school offers. Many people double major EE/CS.

However, is this only beneficial because it'll give me a better 'understanding' of how everything works? I mean will I use most of the stuff I'll learn, like intro to software engineering and intro to operating systems?

Which is better: take a CS minor, or use those 22 units to take other Engineering classes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2
    Of 2 EE friends of mine, about 15 years into their careers, one moved into project management and the other does a lot of firmware programming. The one that is a PM now did a lot of coding for hardware test systems; no doubt his coding skills helped his career. For your decision, try to guage how much you like coding; if you do then a CS minor would give you another career option, for jobs available in every metropolitan area.

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3
    Im not a EE, but a ME, but I have a previous minor in CS. From my previuos experience and current experience I suggest taking 22 units in other engineering classes. Find a sub speciality in EE and see if you can focus on that via your classes.

EDIT- that is, studying to be an ME

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  5. Jun 16, 2005 #4
    Take some of those classes and see how much you like programming. If you develop a taste for it, then get the minor.

6. Jun 16, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the replies. And yeah I was thinking after fall I'll have a better idea of whether I like programming so we'll see. Though even if I don't like it, I'll take it if it's important.

I was just looking at some other schools' EE programs, and they too only have one 'intro to programming for EE' course. Before looking into it I thought my school just isn't preparing its student well enough so I started thinking about a CS minor.

7. Jun 17, 2005 #6
    I plan to major is EE or dual in ECE and I was wondering if I should minor in CS too, I'm definitely familiar with programming (from self-study) and I was wondering if this was a way to receive some credit for work i've done. I want to work in something where the hardware and low-level software meets, so would ECE/CS be appropriate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?