1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Science + Physics?

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    Hi all. Awhile back I posted about potentially changing schools to study Mechanical Engineering. Unfortunately financially this was not possible.

However, my school does offer degrees in physics which I do find interesting.

Currently I am studying Computer Science, and I'm considering adding a double major in Physics.

My school offers a BA in general Physics and a Physics, Professional Physics Concentration, BS

The biggest difference between the two programs is the BS requires Multivar Calc, Differential equations, and two additional physics electives.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone here have any real world experience with this path?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Take the one with Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations. When you combine Physics with Comp Sci it means you're modeling physical systems which means you're integrating Differential Equations that describe the system.

4. May 18, 2015 #3
    Thanks Jedishrfu! Makes sense, I leaning that way already.

Planned out my next few years and it looks like everything should pan out well!

5. May 18, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

SOme other fun stuff to checkout as a distraction but could be relevant:

- Julia programming language: MATLAB clone but many times faster and interoperates well with Fortran and Python

www.julialang.org

- IJulia nd IPython notebook: web app that is pretty cool (see Dave Sanders Julia tutorial video on YouTube)

http://quant-econ.net/python_or_julia.html [Broken]

- Open Source Physics: java based toolkit for doing physics simulations (Runge-Kutta ODE Solver and others) many examples

www.compadre.org/osp

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. May 18, 2015 #5
    Fantastic thank you again! Some fun stuff to mess with ha!

7. May 20, 2015 #6
    Again thank you jedishrfu! I met with a professor in my physics department and she helped me put together a 3 year plan which will have me graduate only a year late.

However, I will have time to do both a semester research project AND a summer research project which should set me up for the Grad school.

If anyone reading this thread is considering anything like this, definitely meet with a professor! They typically rock and only want to help you out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook