Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer science

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    hi guys,
    i'm new here. this year i started my university degree in computer science. i thought it was going to be more of programming. trust me, i was wrong! everything is MATH!! and i'm not so good at it. i finished high school 5 years ago and now doing my first degree. all my math skill vapourised into space and i'm starting all over again. things are difficult but i'm hoping i can find some people to help me pick up. it's difficult competing with the fresh high school students. they know everything! all the trygnometry and proving stuff. i knew them once too but didn't use math for 5 years. so i'm no surprised.

well. i'm here to stay guys. at least till i finish my masters. and with time, i want to help other people as well.

my name is Emmanuel and i'm from Ghana. :D.

EDIT:

i forgot to mention i love math and physics btw.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, emmanuel!
    You really have to tell us:
    What is your favourite fish, before we welcome you here.

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    fish?! :/

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That is correct. Fish.
    We can't open our arms in welcome for anybody, only those who say what their favourite fish will receive a PROPER welcome at PF! :smile:

6. Oct 22, 2012 #5
    but what's the connection with fish and math or physics? is this some sort of tradition or what?

7. Oct 22, 2012 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You will find out! :devil:

8. Oct 22, 2012 #7
    haha...we'll see

9. Oct 22, 2012 #8
    Hi lalapnt. You had best be forthcoming with your favorite fish, these guys are relentless!

I was in the same boat, studying computer science with a long gap between high school and uni. I'm just about to finish my degree and I managed OK with maths although the learning curve was very steep in places. Practise your trig!

There are some great online resources to help you, I found these very useful along with the homework forum here at PF:

Khan Academy
    Paul's Online Math Notes
    MIT Open Courseware

Study hard, you can do it. :)

10. Oct 27, 2012 #9
    Hi lalapnt! Wezon! What part of Ghana are you from? I have been to Have, Ho, Accra, Cape Coast and several other small communities. I will be traveling back to Ghana in January to visit the friends I made there.

Welcome to PF! :smile:

11. Oct 27, 2012 #10
    hej...nice to see someone who knows my country!! i'm very happy! haha. i'm was born in Accra and lived 24 years in accra :D.

12. Oct 27, 2012 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is a very common mistake to think that computer science just deals with programming. That is completely false. Computer science is very math intensive and quite theoretical. Things like Turing machines, for example, are a very theoretical concept that is studied in computer science and doesn't seem very applicable in programming.
    If you want to have more programming and more practical problems, then I suggest you do something like software engineering.

13. Oct 27, 2012 #12
    Excellent! Are you attending school in Ghana? Keep working hard. The math can be difficult, but keep at it and ask a lot of questions here at Physics Forums. The people here are very talented and love to help :smile:

14. Oct 27, 2012 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Ahem... let's not forget about the favorite fish... :smile:

15. Oct 27, 2012 #14
    Considering the thread it's most likely the fish that goes with chips

-chips-rubber-or-plastic-fishing-lures-and-computer-chips-in-a-yellow-paper-cone-with-a-17817091.jpg

source

16. Oct 27, 2012 #15

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A bit crunchy for my taste... and too many bones. :yuck:

17. Oct 27, 2012 #16

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF lalapnt. I too am curious as to what's your favorite fish is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook