Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Thermodynamics

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    Greetings All,

I have a computer project coming up and wanted to take an approach with physics. I want to use a thermoelectric cooling device to cool water in a liquid cooled computer. Heres the question: How can I calculate the amount of heat in Watts generated by the certain microchips and processors in the computer? If I know the temperature of the chip, isn't there a simple way to convert that temperature to its equivalent in Watts?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

How about just knowing the power produced by each component? That should be published data on each component.

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The heat generated /unit time by any electrical resistance is [itex]I^2R[/itex] or [itex]V^2/R[/itex] or [itex]VI[/itex]. So, if you have the voltage supplied and the current, you will be able to work out the heat given off.

I suspect that the most critical factor, however, will not be the amount of heat given off, but the speed at which heat can be exchanged with your coolant at the desired working temperature of the chip.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?