Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Uninstalling problem

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    Computer Uninstalling problem!!!!

I have a question of how to uninstall a program safely without some kind of uninstaller shown in Add and Remove. For example, I installed cigwin in my computer, and I don't know how to install it since there's no an unintaller associated with it. Thank you very much for whatever advice!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2
  4. Nov 13, 2006 #3

-Job-

Science Advisor

Basically when you install a program in windows you do the following:
    . copy some files over to program files directory
    . copy some libraries (dlls) over to either windows or program files directory
    . add some entries to the registry. If you selected to install for every user, then changes are made to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, otherwise to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    . create shortcuts and start menu entries.

You can manually roll back the installation, but you will probably find yourself manually editing the registry which is a dangerous practice.
    There are tools that clean the registry and look for orphan dlls, such as Ashampoo's WinOptimizer: http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/homepage/php/index.php?session_langid=2
    which you would use after manually deleting the root folder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?