Computing a Gaussian integral

In summary: My apologies.In summary, the integral of e^{-ax^2 + ibx} from -∞ to ∞ where a and b are real numbers with a > 0 can be computed by completing the square and making a substitution. The resulting integral is then simplified by taking the limit as the integration bounds approach infinity, and it can be shown that the integral is equal to e^{-b^2/4a} times the square root of pi over the square root of a.
homer

Homework Statement

Let [itex]a,b[/itex] be real with [itex]a > 0[/itex]. Compute the integral
[tex]
I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2 + ibx}\,dx.
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Equation (1):
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx = \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Equation (2):
[tex]-ax^2 + ibx = -a\Big(x - \frac{ib}{2a}\Big)^2 - \frac{b^2}{4a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Completing the square in [itex]-ax^2 + ibx[/itex] gives me Equation (2), so that my integral is now
[tex]
I = e^{-b^2/4a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a(x-ib/2a)^2}\,dx.
[/tex]
Making the substitution [itex]u = \sqrt{a}(x-ib/2a)[/itex] I get [itex]du = \sqrt{a}\,dx[/itex] so tht my integral becomes
[tex]
I = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\,e^{-b^2/4a}\int_{-\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}}^{\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}} e^{-u^2}\,du.
[/tex]

But this doesn't seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it right. Just note that ##-\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}=-\infty## and ##\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}=\infty##, and you're basically done.

Likes homer
Thanks Zeta. Huge brain fart on my part in making it rigorous. The integral I was trying to compute is the limit of

[tex]I(R_1, R_2) = \int_{-R_1}^{R_2} e^{-ax^2 + bx}\,dx[/tex]

as [itex]R_1, R_2 \to \infty[/itex]. Then I can make a subsitution [itex]z = \sqrt{a}(x-ib/2a)[/itex] to get the integral

[tex]I(R_1,R_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\,e^{-b^2/4a}\int_{-\sqrt{a}R_1-ib/2\sqrt{a}}^{\sqrt{a}R_2 - ib/2\sqrt{a}}e^{-z^2}\,dz.[/tex]

The integrand [itex]e^{-z^2}[/itex] is analytic on the entire complex plane, so the integral is path independent. So in particular I can take it on a contour consisting of:

(1) A straight line up from [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1 - ib/\sqrt{a}[/itex] up to the real axis at point [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1[/itex].

(2) A straight line on the real axis from [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1[/itex] to [itex]z = \sqrt{a}R_2[/itex].

(3) A straight line down from the real axis at point [itex]z = \sqrt{a}R_2[/itex] to [itex]z = \sqrt{a}R_2 - ib/2\sqrt{a}[/itex].

Taking the limit as [itex]R_1, R_2 \to \infty[/itex] the integrals on contour sections (1) and (3) vanish since [itex]\lvert z\rvert \to \infty[/itex] and thus [itex]e^{-z^2} \to 0[/itex] on these two vertical lines. The integral on contour (2) then becomes

[tex]\lim_{R_1, R_2 \to \infty}\int_2 e^{-z^2}\,dz = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx = \sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]

Thus we have

\begin{align*}
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2 + bx}\,dx
& = \lim_{R_1,R_2 \to \infty} I(R_1,R_2) \\
& =
\lim_{R_1,R_2 \to \infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\,e^{-b^2/4a}\int_{-\sqrt{a}R_1-ib/2\sqrt{a}}^{\sqrt{a}R_2 - ib/2\sqrt{a}}e^{-z^2}\,dz \\
& = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\,e^{-b^2/4a}\sqrt{\pi}.
\end{align*}

Oops, contour (1) should be from [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1 - ib/2\sqrt{a}[/itex] to [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1[/itex].

Since I'm integrating over the entire real line, I would have expected the limits of integration to be -\infty to \infty, not -\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a} to \infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}. Also, I'm not sure how to evaluate the integral of e^{-u^2} without using the value of \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx, which is not given in the problem.

As a scientist, it is important to be precise and thorough in your approach to problem-solving. In this case, the first step would be to clarify any uncertainties or ambiguities in the given problem. For example, are we assuming that b is a purely imaginary number? Is the value of \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx allowed to be used in our solution?

Once these details are clarified, we can proceed with solving the integral. One approach would be to use the method of contour integration, where we integrate the complex function e^{-az^2 + ibz} over a closed contour in the complex plane. This approach may involve using the Cauchy integral theorem or the residue theorem.

Another approach would be to use the properties of the Gaussian integral, such as the fact that it is equal to \sqrt{\pi} when the exponent is -x^2. We can try to manipulate the given integral into this form by completing the square and making appropriate substitutions. However, as noted in the attempt at a solution, this may lead to some uncertainties and difficulties in the evaluation of the integral.

Overall, as a scientist, it is important to carefully consider all possible approaches and solutions, and to clearly communicate any uncertainties or assumptions made in the process.

1. What is a Gaussian integral?

A Gaussian integral is a type of definite integral that involves calculating the area under a Gaussian function, which is a bell-shaped curve. The Gaussian integral is important in many areas of science, including physics, statistics, and engineering.

2. How is a Gaussian integral computed?

A Gaussian integral can be computed using a variety of techniques, including numerical methods, integration by parts, or using specialized mathematical functions such as the error function. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the integral and the desired level of accuracy.

3. What is the significance of computing a Gaussian integral?

Computing a Gaussian integral allows scientists to solve a wide range of problems that involve Gaussian distributions, such as finding the probabilities of certain events or calculating the expected value of a random variable. It is also a fundamental tool for solving various differential equations in physics and engineering.

4. Are there any applications of Gaussian integrals in real-world scenarios?

Yes, Gaussian integrals have numerous applications in real-world scenarios. They are used in fields such as signal processing, machine learning, and finance to model and analyze data. They are also essential in determining the stability and behavior of physical systems.

5. What are some common challenges when computing a Gaussian integral?

One of the main challenges when computing a Gaussian integral is the complexity of the integral itself. In some cases, the integral may not have a closed-form solution, requiring the use of numerical methods. Additionally, errors in computation can arise due to the sensitivity of the Gaussian function to small changes in the input values.