1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing a Gaussian integral

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]a,b[/itex] be real with [itex]a > 0[/itex]. Compute the integral
    [tex]
    I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2 + ibx}\,dx.
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Equation (1):
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx = \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Equation (2):
    [tex]-ax^2 + ibx = -a\Big(x - \frac{ib}{2a}\Big)^2 - \frac{b^2}{4a}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Completing the square in [itex]-ax^2 + ibx[/itex] gives me Equation (2), so that my integral is now
    [tex]
    I = e^{-b^2/4a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a(x-ib/2a)^2}\,dx.
    [/tex]
    Making the substitution [itex]u = \sqrt{a}(x-ib/2a)[/itex] I get [itex]du = \sqrt{a}\,dx[/itex] so tht my integral becomes
    [tex]
    I = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\,e^{-b^2/4a}\int_{-\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}}^{\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}} e^{-u^2}\,du.
    [/tex]

But this doesn't seem right.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

You've got it right. Just note that ##-\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}=-\infty## and ##\infty - ib/2\sqrt{a}=\infty##, and you're basically done.

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks Zeta. Huge brain fart on my part in making it rigorous. The integral I was trying to compute is the limit of

[tex]I(R_1, R_2) = \int_{-R_1}^{R_2} e^{-ax^2 + bx}\,dx[/tex]

as [itex]R_1, R_2 \to \infty[/itex]. Then I can make a subsitution [itex]z = \sqrt{a}(x-ib/2a)[/itex] to get the integral

[tex]I(R_1,R_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\,e^{-b^2/4a}\int_{-\sqrt{a}R_1-ib/2\sqrt{a}}^{\sqrt{a}R_2 - ib/2\sqrt{a}}e^{-z^2}\,dz.[/tex]

The integrand [itex]e^{-z^2}[/itex] is analytic on the entire complex plane, so the integral is path independent. So in particular I can take it on a contour consisting of:

(1) A straight line up from [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1 - ib/\sqrt{a}[/itex] up to the real axis at point [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1[/itex].

(2) A straight line on the real axis from [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1[/itex] to [itex]z = \sqrt{a}R_2[/itex].

(3) A straight line down from the real axis at point [itex]z = \sqrt{a}R_2[/itex] to [itex]z = \sqrt{a}R_2 - ib/2\sqrt{a}[/itex].

Taking the limit as [itex]R_1, R_2 \to \infty[/itex] the integrals on contour sections (1) and (3) vanish since [itex]\lvert z\rvert \to \infty[/itex] and thus [itex]e^{-z^2} \to 0[/itex] on these two vertical lines. The integral on contour (2) then becomes

[tex]\lim_{R_1, R_2 \to \infty}\int_2 e^{-z^2}\,dz = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\,dx = \sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]

Thus we have

\begin{align*}
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2 + bx}\,dx
    & = \lim_{R_1,R_2 \to \infty} I(R_1,R_2) \\
    & =
    \lim_{R_1,R_2 \to \infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\,e^{-b^2/4a}\int_{-\sqrt{a}R_1-ib/2\sqrt{a}}^{\sqrt{a}R_2 - ib/2\sqrt{a}}e^{-z^2}\,dz \\
    & = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\,e^{-b^2/4a}\sqrt{\pi}.
    \end{align*}

5. Sep 20, 2014 #4
    Oops, contour (1) should be from [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1 - ib/2\sqrt{a}[/itex] to [itex]z = -\sqrt{a}R_1[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted