1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing electrostatic field using FDM, trouble with end results, related to mesh

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to solve the electrostatic field (2D) for a microstrip laid on a dielectric with a ground plane on the other side. I am also calculating the capacitance of the microstrip by evaluating a closed surface integral to get the charge on the conductors. I am using FDM, coding in matlab.

2. Relevant equations

Field:

[tex]\nabla[/tex]V = 0

Charge:

eps*eps0*length*[tex]\oint[/tex]E*dl) = charge

Capacitance:

C=Q/U

3. The attempt at a solution

a. The geometry of the problem is always the same. If I compute the field and then compute the capacitance for a 100x100 mesh I get say 10.2pF. However if I make the mesh finer, say 200x200 I get a different result, 10.75pF. I let the iterations reach 50k (jacobi iteration) in both cases. Why is there such a big difference between the results?

b. I also calculate the charge on the ground plane, for a sanity check. The value I get is too small by 30%. What is wrong?

c. I am always using dirichlet boundary condition for the ground plane, for the other sides of the space I tried using both dirichlet and neumann conditions, difference in the final results for the charge (capacitance) is around 0.6%, which is good, but leads me to the conclusion that for my chosen space size (5x5mm) and the microstrip size - it doesn't really matter which boundary condition do I choose. Do you agree?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?