Computing Integrals: From 3 to 11 - Prove You Are Right

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with choosing a partition for a given integral and determining the correct values to use. The integral was defined as the limit of the sum of two integrals across open intervals. The integral was calculated to be -9 and the Riemann Integrability Criterion was used to prove this, along with referencing the additivity of integration and the definition of improper integrals. A specific interval was chosen to show the 'removable' discontinuities of the function and the Riemann sums were used to compute the integral. The conversation also mentioned a familiar sounding question from a university in Toronto, Ontario.
matrix_204
I was having trouble starting up this question.

Let
------| 2, if x<6
f(x) ={ 7, if x=6
------|-3, if x>6.

Compute (the integral from 3 to 11) f and prove that your right.
The problem i was having was choosing a partition for this integral.
For example, [3,x,y,11], what type of values could i use that are close enough to 6. Is 5 and 7 close enough? or something like +/- epsilon/2(this part is what confuses me, the epsilon)?

Physics news on Phys.org
matrix_204 said:
I was having trouble starting up this question.

Let
------| 2, if x<6
f(x) ={ 7, if x=6
------|-3, if x>6.

Compute (the integral from 3 to 11) f and prove that your right.
The problem i was having was choosing a partition for this integral.
For example, [3,x,y,11], what type of values could i use that are close enough to 6. Is 5 and 7 close enough? or something like +/- epsilon/2(this part is what confuses me, the epsilon)?

No, 5 and 7 are not close enough to 6. You have to integrate across the open intervals [3,6) and (6,11]. This means integrating from 3 to (6-epsilon) and then from (6+epsilon) and taking the limit epsilon -->0.

[tex]\int_3^{11} {f(x)dx}= \lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}[\int_3^{6-\epsilon}{2dx} + \int_{6+\epsilon}^{11}{-3dx}}][/tex]

ehild

oh ok, i was workin on it but i used delta instead, tho i will change it to epsilon, but does it matter as much since delta is smaller than epsilon.

btw just wanted to make sure, i got the -9 as the integral. Could some1 check and tell me if its right? Also if i wanted to prove that i am right(-9), what r the steps involved in proving this. So far i used like the definition of Riemann Integrability Criterion, is that enough, if yes/no, any tips of what i should mention exactly?

matrix_204 said:
oh ok, i was workin on it but i used delta instead, tho i will change it to epsilon, but does it matter as much since delta is smaller than epsilon.

It does not matter what notation you use for the "infinitesimal small quantity".

ehild

matrix_204 said:
btw just wanted to make sure, i got the -9 as the integral. Could some1 check and tell me if its right? Also if i wanted to prove that i am right(-9), what r the steps involved in proving this. So far i used like the definition of Riemann Integrability Criterion, is that enough, if yes/no, any tips of what i should mention exactly?

It is correct. The integral is -9. RIC is OK, but you should refer to the additivity of integration and the definition of improper integrals. You also should say that the integral under one single point is zero. You prove the statement that the integral is -9 when you derive it from the principles.

ehild

You have to pick an interval such that when you look at the integral the discontinuities are 'removable'. Such an interval would have a width of epsilon around the discontuities for the function

In this case [tex] For \epsilon > 0, P_{\epsilon} = [3,6-\epsilon,6+\epsilon,11] [/tex]

Hereafter use the Riemann sums to compute the integral. Thus you can show what the function is really.

As an aside, this kind of question sounds familiar because a prof at my university worded questions like that. You wouldn't happen to be at York University in Toronto, Ontario would you?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you solve integrals?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You also need to have a good understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus and the properties of integrals.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and represents a general solution. In other words, definite integrals give a specific answer, while indefinite integrals give a function.

4. Can integrals be used in real-life applications?

Yes, integrals are widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and even in everyday situations. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities that are essential in solving real-life problems.

5. What is the importance of computing integrals?

Computing integrals is crucial in mathematics and many other fields as it allows us to find the total value or area of a function. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and make predictions based on the calculated values.