Computing Integration of Bessel Function

Your name]In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulty in computing the exact solution when the value of η approaches to ζ. The value of ζ is fixed at 0.5 and the collocation points for η range from 0 to 1. The formula used for computation is θ(η,ζ)=e^{-ε\frac{η}{2}} \left\{ e^{-η}+\left(1-\frac{ε^2}{4}\right)^{1/2} η \int_η^ζ e^{-τ}\frac{I_1 \left\{\left[ \left(1-\frac{ε^2}{4}\right)\
sugaku
I tried to compute this exact solution, but faced difficulty if the value of [itex] η[/itex] approaching to [itex] ζ [/itex]. Let say the value of [itex] ζ [/itex] is fix at 0.5 and the collocation points for η is from 0 to 1.

[tex] θ(η,ζ)=e^{-ε\frac{η}{2}} \left\{ e^{-η}+\left(1-\frac{ε^2}{4}\right)^{1/2} η \int_η^ζ e^{-τ}\frac{I_1 \left\{\left[ \left(1-\frac{ε^2}{4}\right)\left(τ^2-η^2\right) \right]^{1/2} \right\}} {\left(τ^2-η^2\right)} \right\} U(ζ-η)[/tex]

These are the values that is suppose to appear, but only when η=0.5 θ=0.295778, i don't manage to get that value, others is ok. I used trapz command in MATLAB to calculate the area.

η=0.0 θ=1.000000
η=0.1 θ=0.915287
η=0.2 θ=0.831763
η=0.3 θ=0.749758
η=0.4 θ=0.669587
η=0.5 θ=0.295778
η=0.6 θ=0.000000
η=0.7 θ=0.000000
η=0.8 θ=0.000000
η=0.9 θ=0.000000
η=1.0 θ=0.000000

I do suspect that the integration of Bessel function is not simply become 0 when η=0.5 (approach to singularity to that point). I do appreciate if someone could give some advice.

Here I attach the MATLAB program that I wrote. Thank you in advance

format short
%analytic solution
tic

ita=0:0.1:1; m=11;

ep=0.1;
zeta=0.5;

area=zeros(1,m);
%kira integration dahulu
for i=1:m
if ita(i)<=zeta
tau=linspace(ita(i)+0.000001,0.5,100000);
%argument for bessel function
a=(1-(ep^2)/4);b=(tau.^2-ita(i)^2);
Z=(a*b).^(1/2);
%Modified bessel function
func=@(tau) (exp(-tau).*besseli(1,Z))./sqrt(b);
area(i)=trapz(tau,func(tau));
else
area(i)=0;
end
end

Theta=zeros(1,m);
for i=1:m
if ita(i)<=zeta
Theta(i)=exp((-ita(i)./2)*ep)*(exp(-ita(i))+sqrt(a)*ita(i).*area(i));
else
Theta(i)=0;
end
end

plot(ita,Theta);
axis([0 2.2 0 1]);

tableresult(:,1)=ita';
tableresult(:,2)=Theta';

disp(' x Analytic')
disp('')
disp(tableresult);
toc

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experience and code with us. It seems like you have put a lot of effort into computing this exact solution and I appreciate your dedication.

From my understanding, the main issue you are facing is that you are not getting the expected value of θ when η = 0.5. This could be due to the singularity at that point, as you have mentioned. One possible solution could be to use a different integration method that is more suitable for handling singularities, such as the adaptive quadrature method.

Additionally, it might be helpful to check your code for any errors or bugs, as even a small mistake can greatly affect your results. You can also try to break down your code into smaller parts and check each step to see if it is producing the expected results.

I hope these suggestions will help you in computing the correct value of θ at η = 0.5. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out if you need further assistance.

1. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that arises in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is often denoted by the symbol J.

2. What is the purpose of computing integration of Bessel functions?

The purpose of computing integration of Bessel functions is to solve mathematical problems that involve these special functions. These problems can range from finding solutions to differential equations to evaluating complex physical phenomena.

3. How are Bessel functions integrated?

Bessel functions are integrated using various techniques, such as numerical integration methods or analytical methods like the Method of Contour Integration. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are some applications of computing integration of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics, such as in solving heat conduction problems, analyzing electromagnetic fields, and studying the behavior of vibrating systems. They are also commonly used in signal processing and image analysis.

5. Are there any challenges in computing integration of Bessel functions?

Yes, there can be challenges in computing integration of Bessel functions, especially when dealing with complex or higher-order functions. In some cases, numerical methods may be required to approximate the solution. Additionally, the wide range of applications and variations of Bessel functions can make it difficult to determine the most appropriate method for a specific problem.