1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing Lennard-Jones potentials for molecules

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    anyone here have knowledge on computing Lennard-Jones potentials for molecules using periodic boundaries versus doing it on the 3D surface of a hypersphere?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2005 #2
    1) hypersphere is a sphere in 4D space.
    2) Solid state theoretician did a lot of band calculations in ancient times. I would recommentto look in old textbook by Harrison, or any book in theoretical Solid State Physics from 50-60ies.

4. Jun 26, 2005 #3
    yes, im aware of the theory, and have written computer code to do it, but am having problems related to the Hamiltonian.

the surface of a hypersphere is 3D, which means that an alternative to periodic imaging under boundary conditions is to implement a particle system on the surface of a hypersphere, thereby getting rid of the boundaries.

anyone on here actually implemented something like this?

5. Jun 26, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

quetzal,

I doubt you'll find anyone here. The only person here I know who's done any serious computation is Zz - I believe he did some Quantum Monte Carlo simulation; for what system, I can't recall.

I've come across a few computations similar to what you are doing (except they were done for clusters) when I spent some time looking into clusters and nano-particles and MO-based calculations thereof...but know too little of such stuff to speak intelligently.

6. Jun 26, 2005 #5
    thx for the headsup Gokul, i havent done much quantum calculation yet (but probably will soon), just pchem modeling of solutions using lennard-jones, stat mech, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?