Solving Permutations with Multiple Sets: A Guide

In summary, my professor never taught me how to find the cycle decomposition of a permutation. I was able to figure it out by first trying to change σ into σ^2 and then continuing to double σ until I got the identity, but it would take forever. Do you know how to find the cycle decomposition of a permutation?
taylor81792

Homework Statement

The problem says to compute the expression shown for the permutations σ, τ, and μ.
My problem in particular says to compute |{σ}| for σ= (1 2 3 4 5 6; 3 1 4 5 6 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to solve this problem was by first trying to change σ into σ^2. And then I tried continuing to double σ until I got the identity, but at that rate it would take forever.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find the cycle decomposition of a permutation?

I don't think my professor ever taught me that

Well, here's a crash course. [itex]\sigma[/itex] maps 1 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6, 6 to 2, and 2 to 1. We say that [itex]\sigma[/itex] has a cycle consisting of these elements, and we write it as (1 3 4 5 6 2). And we have accounted for all of the elements, so in fact [itex]\sigma[/itex] consists of just this cycle.

If the above makes sense to you, can you see how many times you would have to apply [itex]\sigma[/itex] in order to obtain the identity?

So i understood that and I continued doing that. I then got (1 2 3 4 5 6; 1 4 5 6 2 3). After doing it a couple more times, I ended up getting (1 2 3 4 5 6; 1 3 4 5 6 2) again. I don't know if I did something wrong.

jbunniii said:
Well, here's a crash course. [itex]\sigma[/itex] maps 1 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6, 6 to 2, and 2 to 1. We say that [itex]\sigma[/itex] has a cycle consisting of these elements, and we write it as (1 3 4 5 6 2). And we have accounted for all of the elements, so in fact [itex]\sigma[/itex] consists of just this cycle.

If the above makes sense to you, can you see how many times you would have to apply [itex]\sigma[/itex] in order to obtain the identity?

Or would you have to keep going back to the original σ for each new cycle?

taylor81792 said:
So i understood that and I continued doing that. I then got (1 2 3 4 5 6; 1 4 5 6 2 3).

This doesn't look right. Can you explain how you got that?

If you want to write out the powers of [itex]\sigma[/itex], you can do it as follows, for example to calculate [itex]\sigma^2[/itex]:

[itex]\sigma[/itex] maps 1 to 3 and 3 to 4. Therefore [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] maps 1 to 4.
[itex]\sigma[/itex] maps 2 to 1 and 1 to 3. Therefore [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] maps 2 to 3.
[itex]\sigma[/itex] maps 3 to 4 and 4 to 5. Therefore [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] maps 3 to 5.
[itex]\sigma[/itex] maps 4 to 5 and 5 to 6. Therefore [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] maps 4 to 6.
[itex]\sigma[/itex] maps 5 to 6 and 6 to 2. Therefore [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] maps 5 to 2.
[itex]\sigma[/itex] maps 6 to 2 and 2 to 1. Therefore [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] maps 6 to 1.

This means that [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] = (1 2 3 4 5 6 ; 4 3 5 6 2 1).

okay i did that and then I got (1 2 3 4 5 6; 6 5 2 1 3 4), then ( 1 2 3 4 5 6; 4 3 5 6 2 1). does this look right?

I just tried doing σ^3 and I got the inverse because
1 maps to 4, 4 to 6 and 6 to 1
2 to 3, 3 to 5, and 5 to 2.
3 to 5, 5 to 2, and 2 to 3.

Does this look correct now?

Okay, i redid it a final time and I believe the answer is 6

taylor81792 said:
I just tried doing σ^3 and I got the inverse because
1 maps to 4, 4 to 6 and 6 to 1
2 to 3, 3 to 5, and 5 to 2.
3 to 5, 5 to 2, and 2 to 3.

Does this look correct now?

No, here's what I get:

1 to 3 to 4 to 5
2 to 1 to 3 to 4
3 to 4 to 5 to 6
4 to 5 to 6 to 2
5 to 6 to 2 to 1
6 to 2 to 1 to 3

so [itex]\sigma^3[/itex] = (1 2 3 4 5 6 ; 5 4 6 2 1 3).

taylor81792 said:
Okay, i redid it a final time and I believe the answer is 6

Yes, that's correct.

in general, if

σ = (a1 a2...ak1)(b1 b2...bk2)...(t1 t2...tkr)

where each cycle is disjoint from all the others,

then |σ| = lcm(k1,k2,...,kr)

for example, the order of σ =

(1 2 3 4 5)
(2 1 4 5 3) = (1 2)(3 4 5) is lcm(2,3) = 6.

also, if σ is a n-cycle that maps aj→aj+1 (mod n),

then σk maps aj→aj+k (mod n),

that is, instead of "jumping to the next number in the cycle (circle)", we skip to the k-th following number" ("looping back around when necessary").

What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging a set of objects in a specific order. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and computer science, and is often used in algorithms and data analysis.

How many permutations are possible for a given set of objects?

The number of possible permutations for a given set of n objects is n!, which is read as "n factorial". This means that the number of permutations increases rapidly as the number of objects in the set increases.

What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order, while a combination is a selection of objects from a set without considering their order. Permutations take into account the order of the objects, while combinations do not.

How is computing permutations useful in real-world applications?

Computing permutations is useful in a variety of real-world applications, such as cryptography, data analysis, and optimization problems. It is also used in computer science for tasks such as password generation, sorting algorithms, and studying the complexity of algorithms.

What is an efficient way to compute permutations?

There are several efficient algorithms for computing permutations, such as Heap's algorithm, Johnson-Trotter algorithm, and the Steinhaus-Johnson-Trotter algorithm. These algorithms use different approaches and have varying time complexities, so the most efficient one to use will depend on the specific problem at hand.