What happens when you multiply two simplices?

In summary, the product space S1 x S1 is a torus, but the product space of two boundaries may not have a hole unless the product is defined as a topological or disjoint union. This can be seen by considering the product space of two copies of S^1, where the resulting space may not have a hole if the product is not defined properly.
homomorphism
I'm trying to get an intuitive feel for product spaces, and I think I am having some trouble. I understand that the product space S1 x S1 is a torus. the two circles are cycles which are not boundaries though. What happens when you take the product space of two cycles which are boundaries? For example, the product space of two 2-simplices. Is there any "intuitive" way to understand what will happen when you multiply two simplices?

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe you can think of it like, if you take R x S^1, then you place at each point on the real line a copy of S^2, if you draw this it is a cylinder. But but if you fx. take R^2 and place a copy of the cirkel at each point, it's going to be a mess (try to draw it :)), so there is not always a nice way to picture product spaces.

hmm...how about if I have two 1-simplices: [a,b] and [c,d]

If I wanted to compute the product space, would it be two 2-simplices, [a,b,c] and [a,b,d]
or would it be a bunch of 1 simplices: [a,c], [a,d], [b,c], [b,d] ??

mrandersdk said:
maybe you can think of it like, if you take R x S^1, then you place at each point on the real line a copy of S^2, if you draw this it is a cylinder. But but if you fx. take R^2 and place a copy of the cirkel at each point, it's going to be a mess (try to draw it :)), so there is not always a nice way to picture product spaces.
Actually, [itex]\mathbb{R}^2 \times S^1[/itex] isn't hard: it's the interior of a torus. Try taking a copy of the circle, and attaching a copy of R^2 at each point. (More specifically, use a disk, which is homeomorphic to R^2)

okay that was a smart trick, so R^2 x S^1 is homeomorphic to the inside of a torus, didn't know that, but you have to give that the space S^1 x R^2 , even though it is homeomorphic to the inside of a torus, is hard to imagine (in a usefull way), if you don't are comfortable with spaces being homeomorphic.

To answer homomorphism: If simplices just are an closed line from a to b, in R, then you get:

You place a line of length [c,d] orthogonal on the line [a,b] at each point on [a,b], then what do you get?

you get the square with coners (a,c),(a,d),(b,c) and (b,d), remember that

[a,b] subset of R and [c,d] subset of R so [a,b] x [c,d] subset of R x R = R^2

"okay that was a smart trick, so R^2 x S^1 is homeomorphic to the inside of a torus, didn't know that, but you have to give that the space S^1 x R^2 , even though it is homeomorphic to the inside of a torus, is hard to imagine (in a usefull way), if you don't are comfortable with spaces being homeomorphic."

I used to be uncomfortable with this too, until I realized that every metric space
has a (top-) equivalent bounded metric. It is this that allows the (countable) product of
metric spaces to be metrizable. Then you can imagine IR^2 in its "model" as a
ball, like Hurkyl said. Maybe that will help you see IR^2, or IR^n as a finite ball.

homomorphism said:
I'm trying to get an intuitive feel for product spaces, and I think I am having some trouble. I understand that the product space S1 x S1 is a torus. the two circles are cycles which are not boundaries though. What happens when you take the product space of two cycles which are boundaries? For example, the product space of two 2-simplices. Is there any "intuitive" way to understand what will happen when you multiply two simplices?

Actually, you have to be careful on how you define the product, otherwise you get
a "hole-less" doughnut. I think the product has to be a topological product (equiv.
to a topological or disjoint union) , otherwise, S^1xS^1 will not have a hole:

take two copies S^1 and S^1' , and do the product S^1xS^1' : take x, y, x=/y in

S^1 . Then (x,S^1') and (y,S^1') overlap , so that there is no center hole.

IOW: (x,S^1') will contain a line segment of length 1 ; the point (x,1) in (x,S^1')

and (y,S^1') will also contain a point (y,1).

1. What is a product space in computing?

A product space in computing refers to the set of all possible combinations that can be created from two or more sets of elements. In other words, it is the Cartesian product of two or more sets, where each element in one set is paired with every element in the other set.

2. How is a product space represented in computing?

In computing, a product space is typically represented as a tuple or list of elements, where each element represents a combination from the two or more sets. For example, if set A = {1,2} and set B = {a,b}, the product space would be represented as {(1,a), (1,b), (2,a), (2,b)}.

3. What is the purpose of computing product spaces?

The purpose of computing product spaces is to analyze and understand the relationships between different sets of data or variables. It allows for the exploration of all possible combinations and can help identify patterns, dependencies, and correlations between the elements in the sets.

4. How are product spaces used in data analysis?

Product spaces are commonly used in data analysis to generate new data points for further analysis. They can also be used for data visualization, clustering, and classification tasks. Additionally, product spaces can help in the creation of decision trees and predictive models.

5. Are there any limitations to computing product spaces?

One limitation of computing product spaces is that as the number of sets and elements in each set increases, the size of the product space also increases exponentially. This can lead to a large number of combinations and can make it difficult to analyze and interpret the data. Additionally, product spaces may not accurately represent real-world data, as they assume all combinations are equally likely.