Compute Ratio for Luminosity to Mass: Compare to Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses computing the ratio between luminosity and mass for a star, and comparing it to the Sun's ratio. It is found to be 1000 LSun/MSun. The conversation also briefly mentions estimating the maximum amount of time very luminous stars can last as red giants, with a potential answer of 10^7 years.
oldspice1212
Hi hi hi,

So guys I'm just having a little trouble with this question..

Compute the ratio between the luminosity from part B to the mass from part A. How does that ratio compare with the Sun's ratio of luminosity to mass?

So for part A I got 1Msun and part B I got 1000Lsun

So to compute the ratio I was just wondering I divide Luminosity/ Mass and isn't it just 1000 then? :eek:Edit: Also how do I estimate the maximum amount of time these very luminous stars can last as red giants from your answer to part C (the question above).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oldspice1212 said:
Hi hi hi,

So guys I'm just having a little trouble with this question..

Compute the ratio between the luminosity from part B to the mass from part A. How does that ratio compare with the Sun's ratio of luminosity to mass?

So for part A I got 1Msun and part B I got 1000Lsun

So to compute the ratio I was just wondering I divide Luminosity/ Mass and isn't it just 1000 then? :eek:
Yes, the ratio is 1000 LSun/MSun .

Edit: Also how do I estimate the maximum amount of time these very luminous stars can last as red giants from your answer to part C (the question above).
This is an entirely different question.

Thanks yeah I noticed that its the only information I had besides I didn't mention the H R diagram. XD sorry about that.I got 10^7 years if anyone is interested for that question.

What is the ratio for luminosity to mass?

The ratio for luminosity to mass, also known as the mass-to-light ratio, is the measurement of the amount of mass in a given object compared to its luminosity or brightness. It is typically denoted as M/L and is used to determine the density and composition of celestial bodies.

How is the ratio for luminosity to mass calculated?

The ratio for luminosity to mass is calculated by dividing the luminosity of an object by its mass. The luminosity is typically measured in units of watts (W) and the mass is measured in units of kilograms (kg). This calculation can be used to compare objects of different sizes and distances.

What is the significance of comparing the ratio for luminosity to mass to the Sun?

The Sun is used as a reference point for comparing the ratio for luminosity to mass because it is the most well-studied and understood celestial body. By comparing the ratio of other objects to the Sun, scientists can gain a better understanding of the composition and density of these objects.

How does the ratio for luminosity to mass vary among different celestial bodies?

The ratio for luminosity to mass can vary greatly among different celestial bodies. For example, smaller and less dense objects like gas giants may have a lower ratio, while larger and more massive objects like stars may have a higher ratio. This variation can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of different celestial bodies.

What are some potential applications of understanding the ratio for luminosity to mass?

Understanding the ratio for luminosity to mass can have various practical applications in astronomy, such as determining the age and size of stars and galaxies, studying the formation and evolution of celestial bodies, and even detecting dark matter. It can also help in understanding the physical laws and principles that govern the universe.