Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of computing ##S(n,3)## and how to approach it using the recurrence relation ##S(n,k) = kS(n-1,k) + S(n-1,k-1)## and induction. The person also asks if there is a simpler way to count the number of ways to put ##n## distinguishable balls into ##3## indistinguishable boxes without any box being empty. It is suggested to look at the wikipedia article on Stirling numbers of the second kind for more insights.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Compute ##S(n,3)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To compute this I used the fact that ##S(n,2) = 2^{n-1}-1## and used the recurrence relation ##S(n,k) = kS(n-1,k) + S(n-1,k-1)##, and used induction to get that ##S(n,3)=\frac{3^{n-1}+1}{2}-2^{n-1}##.

But is there a quicker way to do this? Is there a way to just see plainly, as in, just counting how many ways we could put ##n## distinguishable balls into ##3## indistinguishable boxes where no box is empty? I tried but it seems difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a way to just see plainly
For me at least, initially obscure mathematical relationships, that probably would on PF be regarded as part of material of intermediate mathematical difficulty level, are usually, but not always, plain enough after someone else sees them, and after I painstakingly choke through some explanations.

Once in a while I might notice or discover something "on my own", and find out later that it was published only, e.g., 300 years ago, but that's rare, at least for me.

If you haven't already looked at the wikipedia article on Stirling numbers of the second kind, I think you might be likely upon reading it to gain some new-to-you inights on your question. I think you're apparently already pretty close to a reasonably good understanding. If you skip ahead to the triangular table illustration, and read enough of the material to understand how it compares to Pascal's triangle for a binomial distribution, that, and the rest of the article, may help you to arrive at a visualization that you find satisfying.

What is "Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind"?

"Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind" is a mathematical calculation used to determine the number of ways to partition a set of n objects into 3 non-empty subsets.

How is "Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind" different from other Stirling numbers?

"Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind" specifically focuses on partitioning a set into 3 subsets, while other Stirling numbers may involve different numbers of subsets or different conditions for the subsets.

What is the formula for "Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind"?

The formula for "Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind" is S(n,3) = (1/6)(n^2 + 5n + 6).

What is the significance of "Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind"?

"Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind" has applications in combinatorics, probability, and number theory. It can be used to solve problems involving partitioning objects into subsets, such as in genetics, computer science, and physics.

How can "Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind" be calculated?

"Computing S(n,3) Stirling number of 2nd kind" can be calculated using various methods, such as using the formula, using recursion, or using a computer program. It is also possible to approximate the value using mathematical approximations or numerical methods.