Computing Series with Residues

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of computing sums with residues when the residue is purely imaginary and the ultimate sum must be real. An example is given for computing the sum of f(k)=1/(k^2+1) using the formula sum(f(k), negative infinity, positive infinity)=-sum(Res(pi*cot(pi*z)f(z);p), for p poles of f). It is found that the answer appears to be imaginary, but this is resolved by realizing that coth(pi) is an even function and the final sum is actually real.
jweygna1

Homework Statement

It is a not a particular problem. Just how does one handle the situation of computing sums with residues if the residue comes out purely imaginary, as ultimately the sum must be real?

Homework Equations

sum(f(k), negative infinity, positive infinity)=-sum(Res(pi*cot(pi*z)f(z);p), for p poles of f)

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess for purpose of illustration I will show an example. Say we want to compute the sum S of f(k)=1/(k^2+1) from negative infinity to infinity. Then f(z)=1/(z^2+1)=((z+i)(z-i))^(-1) which has poles at i and -i. We construct g(z)=pi*cot(pi*z)*f(z) so S=-Res(g;i)-Res(g;-i).
Now all we have to do is find these two residues. But isn't Res(g;i)=Res(g;-i)=pi*coth(pi)/2i? This gives S=pi*coth(pi)/i which appears to be imaginary which doesn't make sense. The answer given is mine without the i in the denominator! What happened to it??

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer lies in the fact that coth(pi) is an even function, so coth(pi)=-coth(-pi). Therefore, Res(g;i)=pi*coth(pi)/2i=-Res(g;-i), and thus S=-Res(g;i)-(-Res(g;-i))=pi*coth(pi)/2i+pi*coth(pi)/2i=pi*coth(pi)/i which is real.

1. What is the concept of computing series with residues?

Computing series with residues is a mathematical technique used to evaluate infinite series. It involves using the complex residues of a function to calculate the sum of a series, which is particularly useful for series that do not have a closed form solution.

2. How do you determine the complex residue of a function?

The complex residue of a function can be determined by finding the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the Cauchy integral formula.

3. What are some common applications of computing series with residues?

Computing series with residues is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other branches of science to evaluate infinite series that arise in various mathematical models and equations. It is also used in signal processing and control theory.

4. Can computing series with residues be used for any type of series?

No, computing series with residues is only applicable to series with a finite number of poles and residues. It cannot be used for series with an infinite number of singularities, such as those whose terms alternate in sign.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with computing series with residues?

One of the main challenges of computing series with residues is the need for a thorough understanding of complex analysis and the properties of analytic functions. Additionally, the series must have a finite number of terms and the correct choice of contour for the integration can be difficult.