Understanding Limits in Calculus: Exploring the Concept and Its Applications

In summary: I should of been more clear in terms of stating it being undefined. SorryNo worries, it happens. Would you like me to explain why there is no limit b->0- in this situation?Sure, go ahead.In summary, the limit as b approaches 0- for the function f(b) = 2-2√b cannot be computed because taking the square root of a negative number is undefined in the context of real numbers. This is because in the real number system, there is no number whose square is negative. Therefore, it does not make sense to compute a limit in this situation.
Torshi

Homework Statement

Just checking if these are right?

f(b) = 2-2√b
compute limit in are as:
b-> 0+
b->1-
Explain in a brief sentence why it does not make sense to compute a limit as b->0-

Homework Equations

given above

The Attempt at a Solution

lim b->0+ (2-2√b) = 2
lim b->1- (2-2√b) = 0
Lim b->0- (2-2√b) = ? The question says it doesn't make sense to do so. Is it not 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Torshi said:

Homework Statement

Just checking if these are right?

f(b) = 2-2√b
compute limit in are as:
b-> 0+
b->1-
Explain in a brief sentence why it does not make sense to compute a limit as b->0-

Homework Equations

given above

The Attempt at a Solution

lim b->0+ (2-2√b) = 2
lim b->1- (2-2√b) = 0
Lim b->0- (2-2√b) = ? The question says it doesn't make sense to do so. Is it not 2?

Fine for the first two. For the last if b->0- then b is negative. If you are working in the real numbers then taking the square root of a negative number should make you feel odd at least. Why? This is another example of where blind plugging without thinking is not the best idea.

Dick said:
Fine for the first two. For the last if b->0- then b is negative. If you are working in the real numbers then taking the square root of a negative number should make you feel odd at least. Why? This is another example of where blind plugging without thinking is not the best idea.

Thank you! Is it because square root of a negative is "i"

Torshi said:

The square root of -1 is i .

[itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{-|a|}=i\cdot\sqrt{|a|}[/itex]

Torshi said:

The square root of -1 is also -i, but main point is that if you are working with real numbers and limits the square root of a negative number is simply undefined. It's not real. I think that's what the are expecting you to say. Can you tell me why there is no real number whose square is negative?

Dick said:
The square root of -1 is also -i, but main point is that if you are working with real numbers and limits the square root of a negative number is simply undefined. It's not real. I think that's what the are expecting you to say. Can you tell me why there is no real number whose square is negative?

I should of been more clear in terms of stating it being undefined. Sorry

I wasn't looking for an apology and there is none needed. I was just looking you to say how you would explain that there was no limit b->0-.

What is a limit in computing?

A limit in computing refers to the value that a mathematical function or expression approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value.

Why are limits important in computing?

Limits are important in computing because they allow us to determine the behavior of a function near a specific point, even if the function is undefined at that point. This can help us understand the overall behavior of a function and make predictions about its values.

How do you calculate limits in computing?

There are several different methods for calculating limits in computing, depending on the type of function and the specific point of interest. Some common methods include direct substitution, factoring, and using L'Hôpital's rule.

What are the types of limits in computing?

The two main types of limits in computing are one-sided limits and two-sided limits. One-sided limits only consider the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point from one direction, while two-sided limits consider the behavior from both directions.

What is the purpose of using limits in computing?

The purpose of using limits in computing is to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point, even if the function is not defined at that point. This can help us make predictions, solve equations, and evaluate the overall behavior of a function.