1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing uncertainties

1. Jun 20, 2017 #1
    Hello, took a year off school and starting school soon. So I'm shaking off the rust and remembered in my previous lab courses we were supposed to compute uncertainties but I never really understood how that works. All I remember was its something to do with pythagorean theorem. I want to really understand this mathematical concept for I will be taking many more labs at university level and want to be prepared.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

What you are referring to I believe is e.g. if ## V=V(X,Y) ## where ## X ## has uncertainty ## \Delta X ##, and ## Y ## has uncertainty ## \Delta Y ##, then the uncertainty ## \Delta V ## satisfies ## (\Delta V)^2=(\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{X}})^2 (\Delta X)^2+(\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{Y}})^2 (\Delta Y)^2 ##. Perhaps someone can find a link to something that spells this idea out in more detail. ## \\ ## A simple example of the above is the case where ## V=X+Y ##. Then ## (\Delta V)^2=(\Delta X )^2+(\Delta Y )^2 ##. ## \\ ## Meanwhile, the above can be generalized to more variables, e.g. ## V=V(X,Y,Z,...) ##.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted